AuthorTopic: Arachne Monster  (Read 3211 times)

Offline OneName

• View Profile

Arachne Monster

on: February 17, 2008, 02:18:29 pm
Well, i've been colouring Arachne's lines, and i need help.

I need help with doing the eye, and i also want to add minor details to make it more unique.

Offline basara

• View Profile

Re: Arachne Monster

Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 03:12:46 pm
Small dithering tip: Some of your colours are only used in 50% dither ( there is no solid patches of those colors ). When dithering most of the time the intention is to create the illusion of a colour in between the two used for dithering without the need of adding a new one to your pallete. So if your highlights are only used dithered then you may consider to just choose a colour between the dithered ones and create a solid patch.
Also remember the effect that dithering has on the material of the object, the stronger the dithering the less smooth the material will look.
I would say you shouldnt bother dithering until you have all the volumes defined with solid patches of colours, then use dithering just to blur the edges of those patches.

About the eye: Remember that the eye takes shadows and is lit in the same way as any other thing, exept it also has gloss. Its white, but not 100% white. Shade the eye like you would shade a sphere, then cast shadows onto it ( from the eyebrow thing maybe ). Then for the glossy effect add some reflections of bright things in the surroundings.

here's a fast edit:

Offline mattpk

• Epic Fail Pixeler wee
    • View Profile
    • Google

Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 03:20:08 pm
basara is right, since dithering should be used to create some sort of texture and almost always when you are changing shades. You also need a bit more contrast. Basara's edit doesn't use enough dithering when changing shades though. Use more solid colours, but also use some dithering. Also with the horns. Your horns used too much dithering, and basara's edit has only solid color. Use a medium amount of dithering.
Nuuuuuuuuuuuuu

D:

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 06:33:01 pm
The amount of dithering, or whether you use it at all, is a stylistic choice. There's no prescribed amount of dithering necessary for anything.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline OneName

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 03:40:47 pm
Thankyou all. I will take all this into consideration.

I am taking my work upstairs into my bedroom to work on there, with my new "Ergonomic" "Wrist Comforting" mouse =D