AuthorTopic: [WIP] Zerberk - running animation  (Read 16118 times)

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Re: [WIP] Zerberk mockup

Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 03:16:23 pm
It depends what system you're aiming for...?

I know on the GBA you can have alpha masks applied to a background layer - thus effecting the sprites (dependant where they lay in the z-plane) so essentially you could have the force fields with a semi transparency applied.

Therefore if I were you I'd avoid the pixel dither effect you're attempting as it could be handled by hardware.
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Lazycow

• Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    • flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/15168.htm
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 03:01:21 pm

A) The centurion-robot in corrected perspective (thanks, sharprm)
B) Finally, here he is. Our hero. Brave enough to kill all robots. Sort of. Well, somehow he lost his pants...
C) Finally, here he is. Our hero. Brave enough to kill all robots. (he is unnamed, yet)
D) Our hero (with trousers and more shading on the breast, better?)
E) Our hero (He needs a gun, of course)

It seems like he is too small for a face, isn't he? It was somewhat hard to shade him, does not look as good as the robot.  :(
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline Lazycow

• flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 01:57:42 pm

Yes, I am still alive... I tried different types of doors, but failed. So I used the energy walls for the doors. (They could fade away maybe) And there's a new type of floor. And a status display with item select and radar. So, maybe no longer wip...
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline Lazycow

• flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Re: [WIP] Zerberk - running animation

Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 03:38:54 pm
The running animation... (using the run part of the "movements of the two-legged figure" as template. But with streched legs and turned into isometric view in order to match the shape of the hero)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 08:24:45 pm
there's something un-fluid about the arms, but that's all.  maybe bring the lower end down in the middle frames.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 11:17:37 am
Copying a tute is okay if your are after a uber cartoony look (liquidy arms) but I would've thought something more realistic would be better. If you want something more realisitic (the arms are rigid and rotate) look at some other sprite sheets to help.

For man sprite, I think colors are a bit too grey and outlining is inconsistent. Here is my shot at it but of course u can do something different.

Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Lazycow

• flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 12:31:57 pm
@Adarias: Yes, seems like stretching his arms in the middle is a good start. I am currently working on that.

@sharprm: Hey, thanks for your edit - that helped me a lot! You are right, your colors are much better. The shading in your edit is also more advanced. I have had a hard time to figure out how you achieved that. Well, I have removed the old outline-style of the figure and altered the colors, but I am not sure if I like the black outline of your edit. Depends on the background, maybe.

yours - old/new

better?

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 09:48:20 pm

If you have consistently dark backgrounds, i think you dont need outlines so long as your sprites are bright. ie. your 'new' one can work.

With the last edit, maybe it was too hard to understand because I might have been incorreclty trying to squeeze anatomy in the small sprite. So the above edit has two versions, one on left is simpler. Are you going to have a cartoony character? Whatever shading method u use make sure you are comfortable with it. But one thing that strikes me as odd is the 'flares' (pants) and the grey in the hair.

Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi