AuthorTopic: Cartoonish House  (Read 4462 times)

Offline GoroUnreal

• View Profile
    • GoroUnreal.com

Cartoonish House

on: February 17, 2008, 10:06:17 am

Just finished it, i've had someone mention that it should have some textures. Thing is i'm aiming for a cartoonish simplistic look. But I thought i'd post it here and see what you guys thought. Even though it's finished I will be using it later as a part of a town so any ideas posted here i'll be sure to try.

Thanks in advance.

Offline basara

• View Profile

Re: Cartoonish House

Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 02:30:34 pm
I have a small suggestion, the colour of the windows of your house shouldnt be light blue unless they were reflecting the sky. They should be some mix of the house interior colours and the grass in my opinion.

About adding textures: I think thats something you should decide, the piece is currently quite pretty but perhaps adding well made textures could make it into something very remarkable. It would also probably challenge you which can only lead to you improving your pixeling skills :)

Offline pixelaro

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 05:43:14 pm
It looks pretty good, but I think if you want to go for a cartoonish style that can be done better by removing all those coloured lines to suggest highlights and form. I made an edit on the left side of the house using less dark and light lineart to show form.
:::....

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 08:33:01 pm
I have a small suggestion, the colour of the windows of your house shouldnt be light blue unless they were reflecting the sky. They should be some mix of the house interior colours and the grass in my opinion.

About adding textures: I think thats something you should decide, the piece is currently quite pretty but perhaps adding well made textures could make it into something very remarkable. It would also probably challenge you which can only lead to you improving your pixeling skills :)
Actually, most windows should be completely transparent, so you should only see the interior(of course, this depends a lot on glare and other aspects...). There's a problem with that though, and that it just doesn't read well most of the time. Most people use light blue because it indeniably reads as a window to everyone. Especially with windows this small, where not a lot of interior is going to be able to be seen, it just won't look good, I don't think.

Offline GoroUnreal

• View Profile
    • GoroUnreal.com

Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 07:14:30 am

You have a point there (with the textures), I guess I should experiment a little before putting this one to rest. As for the windows i'm leaning towards what Dusty mentioned where if I were to show the contents of the house it could possibly look to cluttered with pixels. I know where you're coming from though I normally do have transparent windows.

Offline GoroUnreal

• View Profile
    • GoroUnreal.com

Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 07:16:00 am
It looks pretty good, but I think if you want to go for a cartoonish style that can be done better by removing all those coloured lines to suggest highlights and form. I made an edit on the left side of the house using less dark and light lineart to show form.

That does look quite good actually, i've never really tried to do a piece without outlines. Might have to experiment with that effect and see if it will suite what i'm going for, thanks for the help =)