AuthorTopic: CD Artwork  (Read 6947 times)

Offline Hishnak

• View Profile
    • Aphotic Pixel

CD Artwork

on: February 14, 2008, 12:44:27 am
Hi, I made this artwork for a local band. Any suggestions? Something that just looks wrong? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Front and back of booklet

Back cover

Inside booklet (no text yet)

Tray card

The actual CD (four colors, the white will be transparent)

[EDIT]

I made a new CD. Any better than the first version?

Also, an updated front cover without the gloves and a modified "L".

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 04:07:04 am by Hishnak »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: CD Artwork

Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 12:50:45 am
That looks fantastic!  :y: No crits, except maybe the ships getter darker seems a bit weird to me since the earth is fully lit.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Ixis

• View Profile
    • Ixis' dA site

Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 01:02:52 am
Ok, most of this is personal suggestions, and not hard critique stuff, so take it or leave it if you want.

For the first one I'd make it so the front and back cover blend between one another. The street, sidewalk and brick wall are seamless, so why not the rest?

For the second image, the perspective is off, but it probably doesn't matter as much. Also it looks like the street in the background isn't lined up (it changes height between the two buildings on the left.)  Also it looks like the building in the background next to the tree goes out into the middle of the street.

The next two are great.

For the cd cover I'd maybe have one or two white/highlights on the text to make it more visually interesting like the logo on the cover.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 03:42:59 am
The gloves feel rather...flat and generic--not like your typical choice-selector-glove, you know?

Also, the white copyright text in the street is kind of hard to read....then again, isn't copyright information supposed to be hard to read? :P

But still, really cool idea.  :y:
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 01:28:08 pm
The L in Flowers looks like a capital i somewhat, as it is the only one that's lowercase. Neat stuff otherwise.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 02:10:52 pm
That is amazing. It's way too late now but I would have worked in a lower resolution (possibly half of what you have there) to really emphasize the pixel-ness of the art.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Hishnak

• View Profile
    • Aphotic Pixel

Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 04:04:32 am
thanks for the comments.

it looks like the street in the background isn't lined up (it changes height between the two buildings on the left.)  Also it looks like the building in the background next to the tree goes out into the middle of the street.
You're right. I'll fix those right away.

The gloves feel rather...flat and generic--not like your typical choice-selector-glove, you know?
I removed the gloves to see if I liked it better. I think it make it look less busy.

The L in Flowers looks like a capital i somewhat
Indeed.

Offline Hatch

• Half man, half human
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 05:56:13 am
Minor technical crit: since you've got a 4/4 tray card, I'm assuming you'll be using a clear tray? If so, the front of the case might be a little jarring with the black starry sky on the spine and the cheery blue sky on the booklet. Might be an intentional contrast, but it's one of those things that's really easy to miss without a mockup.

Offline Twinspiration

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 06:26:15 am
You did a fantastic job with this!

However, some of the taller front-row buildings' rooftops don't look quite right..
It's probably just because all of the rooftops have the same height and my eyes are just trying to convince me that shorter buildings should have shorter roofs. :P

Offline emlan

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 03:45:04 pm
I'm not fond of the cat, compared to the rest of the smooth looking pictures it looks a bit scribbly and unpolished...specially the tail.