AuthorTopic: Sidescroller character template  (Read 4481 times)

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Sidescroller character template

on: February 13, 2008, 10:36:05 pm
Sorry for my long absence. i was really busy....

anyway! heres a template i working on for the run sprite of a sidescroller character. i'n really terrible at run sprites, so i need alot of help...

Taadaa!

whatcha think? i'm using the promotion trial.

Offline infinity+1

• the real deal
    • View Profile

Re: Sidescroller character template

Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 10:40:13 pm
i'm no expert on run and walk animations, but a few things i notice...

it kind of lacks the bounce in smoother run animations.
and also, the way his head is positioned, it looks like it's super heavy or something

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 10:42:27 pm
It seems like the legs flick forward too fast. You have three frames where the leg is bent like J. Try and make the leg change more for these frames to reduce the 'kick'. For a run he should be leaving the ground too.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 10:55:16 pm
AH! that makes sense.

Better?

Offline Ixis

• View Profile
    • Ixis' dA site

Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 10:58:54 pm
I agree with what's been said, and your arm motion looks really really good.

The main problem seems to be there's no bend with the legs of the weight of the character. Almost like the character's being held up by a rope by the waist. The head bob should also be a bit smother, and maybe work some horizontal movement in there as well.

The spine also is jiggly and should bend and move with the character a bit more. Specifically it should be rotated to the right a bit more (you lean into a run, so the spine shouldn't be as straight as it is here.)

Also your sprite goes into the contact frame too quickly, and you have a passing frame that lasts one frame too long (I think.)

Check idle worm's walk cycle here. Once you know the basics of walk cycles, a run cycle becomes easy and fun.  ;)

EDIT: Heheh, you posted a new walk cycle right when I was about to post this!

The new one is better, the legs are definitely smoother. Now I'd add a bit of a lean and some back and forth head motion (only a few pixel lengths back and forth. Like, 1 or 2, and see how that works.)

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 11:15:57 pm
I think you should make sure the leg's length doesn't grow when he puts his foot down or shrink in some J frames. Looking better.  :y:
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 01:17:34 am

i think the head bounces too much now, i'll change that.

Offline mattpk

• Epic Fail Pixeler wee
    • View Profile
    • Google

Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 01:23:37 am
I THINK (i said think) that the head should turn a bit if it isn't a circle. it kinda looks awkward.
Nuuuuuuuuuuuuu

D:

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 02:08:09 pm
It's very strange that his neck is craned forward. Normally when you run, you push your chest forward and lean forward with your whole body. If you tried to run like this character in real life, each step would put incredible strain on your neck and back and you would probably cause some permanent damage. Also the movement of his legs makes it look like he's running downhill - he's throwing his feet forward to catch himself as his body is inexplicably propelled forward. Instead, he should be propelling himself along with each step, thrusting each foot backwards with convincing force as if he's trying to get the most distance with each step. Finally, when we run our feet land heel first, then toes. Heel to toe. You have his feet toe to heel as if he's prancing or tiptoeing.
I mild from suffer dislexia.