AuthorTopic: The Lililolos need your help!  (Read 6657 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

The Lililolos need your help!

on: February 10, 2008, 06:11:31 pm
Jeanne/Joan of the Manahouti

Project description from professor: Create a piece that observes the colonial mindset and argue for or against.

During the revolution of 1789, a ship carrying an Émigré and his family is blown off course and wrecks on a remote island, the only? survivor his daughter.  She is quickly discovered by the lililolos (read - liliputs) who are part of the greater manahouti (read, menehune).  The smallest (about knee-hight) and weakest of the tribes, they believe that Jeanne/Joan is the "bright one" who was prophesied to deliver them.

other races of the manahouti:
cahotes - like rock golems but still smaller than Jeanne, about thigh high.
pahos - larger rockier, and very elusive.
wikinis - brush imps that have long been the enemies of the lililolos

can't pick a palette, the only thing i learned from this is that the females will be darker lighter - sorry for the typo than the men (and smaller and covered)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 08:53:01 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Sabata

• View Profile
    • TownsLife

Re: The Lililolo need your help!

Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 06:25:47 pm
I like the brown one, the pink one is definitely out of my taste… too saturated for me.
The lowest pink is better, but brown is still my fav.

Although I am not sure that a darker female brown will look good.

Offline Jacky-Boy

• Roman Candle
    • View Profile

Re: The Lililolos need your help!

Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 10:11:54 pm
I'd go for the brown one as well. The green ones looks good, but green humanoids are overdone in my opinion.
I reckon the purple one could work if you were to lower the saturation down to more of a purple-grey (could be too similar to the cahotes and pahos though).

TAKE A KEY FOR COMING IN!

ConceptArt Sketchbook

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 06:47:56 am
spine doesn't support that belly and those legs at that angle, creature would fall over. There's something that doesn't work about these on a rendering level, kinda messy. Do you plan to retouch when you've settled on a palette or should I try to give critique now?

The palette question is loaded as only the green, brown and purplish-blue ones have enough mid-tone to count (the others are too bright and clash with their outline black pixels, which look like stray pixels on these cases) so you'll only get votes for those, really. Given a right value adjustment, I'd go with a mainly yellow-mustard one with blueish highlights and brown darks.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 10:42:13 am
spine doesn't support that belly and those legs at that angle, creature would fall over.

http://mikeaustin.org/thereturnofscipio/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/obese.jpg (seems to me) to show a similar angle, although the shoulders are definitely thrust forward.  is that what you mean by the angle, or are you talking more a lower body thing?

There's something that doesn't work about these on a rendering level, kinda messy. Do you plan to retouch when you've settled on a palette or should I try to give critique now?

yeah i guess when i said palette i meant general color, as these were just a hue slider change all coming from the darker brown.  I'm thinking once i do pick a color im goign to start over with a different size and style.

I'd go with a mainly yellow-mustard one with blueish highlights and brown darks.

Interesting.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 12:55:29 pm
Just as I opened that image the cleaning lady came in the room and looked at the computer screen. Thanks.

here's an edit adressing everything from anatomy/posture to colors and value ranges and whatnot. Ask me if you think any of my changes are vague.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 01:47:55 pm
yeah,the posture does look better like that.  The colors do too, though the reason mine are straight-forward is actually that my instructor HATES hue shifting.  He's a product designer and despite samples and protest he finally told me during the last project that he just didn't get it and to stop arguing.

Warm shadows are definitely something i can take into consideration.

an attempted mockup showed me one thing though which is that if these guys are knee-hight, the perspective has to be at a much steeper pitch to not make the character block too much of the screen comparatively.  Will start over with suggestions in mind :D
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 02:23:18 am
you know you're boned when you can't even tell if what you are scratching together is good enough for a class presentation :

imo, it looks good from a distance, but that grid just won't die.  should I stick to traditional tile systems, or keep pushing the random blocks?  But so little time, so little time......

inspired by the descrambler challenge, should probably have known better by now :P

and yeah, this comes with a wicked change of plans - 16x16 to 32x48 characters ^^
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 02:38:58 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 02:50:53 am
I see no problem with tile-land. But then again I made triangle land so I'm sorta like that you know... Your teacher will probably hate.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 03:53:02 am
I see no problem with tile-land. But then again I made triangle land so I'm sorta like that you know... Your teacher will probably hate.

i would love to see a full project using triangle land.

I asked my friend suzy and she says "dude, like robert is even going to fucking notice."  She has a point, so these i guess are just up for regular critique rather than a style crisis :P
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 04:13:16 am
I like the discombobulation of the tiles :).
Those shadows seem too light, to me, though.
Also, what's up with the blue background? is it water? sky?
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline I Am Uh

• I feel... Saturated to some degree, out of tone.
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 06:07:56 am
I personally prefer the bottom Lililo the most, It's the only skin tone that seems right too me. As for the tiles, They're looking great, just finish the bottom ones like you did the top.

Btw, Are these little guys going to be for the partisan tactics game?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 10:57:15 am by I Am Uh »
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. What they oughta' say is...
Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) "Lord of War"
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 07:36:13 pm
sounds like 'the yeas have it'.  i should learn to trust my instincts maybe instead of my hindsight.  Oh, and it's really bright because I hate my laptop.  will change later.

i am uh - it's actually for a class project on colonialism rather than partisan.  who knows though what it might get used for ultimately - the university doesn't end up owning these tiles the way a company would, so they could find their way into one of our hobby-things.
A mistake is a mistake.