AuthorTopic: [Some WIP Some Finished] Fun Puzzle Icons  (Read 3167 times)

Offline dreamisle

• Software Engineer/Puzzle Author
    • View Profile
    • Dave Goes the Distance

[Some WIP Some Finished] Fun Puzzle Icons

on: February 06, 2008, 06:11:51 am
Hi everyone. I haven't posted in a while, but on occasion I've been making some icons for my puzzle web site. Here are a few of the newer ones, and then I'll get to the WIP part of this post.

Left to right: An icon for Haunted Mirror Maze puzzles, a sudoku icon (thanks to Noadi for the edit she did earlier in chat), an icon for word searches, and a stylized black and white plant icon thing I just felt like drawing, my template

I have had an icon for story logic problems for a while, but it hasn't pleased me. It's not (only) that it's bad pixel art, but I'm guessing no one will recognize the puzzle's grid from the icon, nor does it look cool. I tried enlarging the grid to near the size of the sudoku icon's grid but it didn't work well. So I'm wondering - does anyone here have any suggestions for what to do about the offending icon? I'd maybe like to keep the funky yellow and red colors but I'd honestly be open to ditching them and saving that palette for future use. Any suggestions on it are appreciated!

Epic fail! What now?

EDITED 2/7/08 - I've updated the icon to a red book with a question mark. It's better than the grid icon that I had but still not terribly great. C+C appreciated for the book.
EDITED 2/25/08 - Updated yet again - now the book looks decent - thanks for th help so far :)

tl;dr: That last icon of mine sucks. What now?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 04:49:24 am by dreamisle »

Offline dreamisle

• View Profile
    • Dave Goes the Distance

Re: [Some WIP Some Finished] Fun Puzzle Icons

Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 04:09:25 am
Sorry to bump, but it's been 20 days and this has been stewing for a while.

I keep looking at my last edit - the book - and trying to figure out what to do. I keep looking at photos of real books but I just can't seem to get it to look right or put across the 'this is a story' theme I keep trying for. HELP!

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 04:21:04 am
simple solution methinks, don't have the book flat on.. angle it, or would that break away from your set's style? I tried to make an edit without straying too far from yours, just a change of angle.

also less with colours that just aren't needed, hard to make out the question mark and from zooming in I disovered colours that seemingly make not change to the overall design.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 04:23:26 am by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline dreamisle

• View Profile
    • Dave Goes the Distance

Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 04:44:07 am
Hmm - originally I didn't think another perspective would work, but without the question mark and with a bit of editing I think I have something half-passable:

Thanks a ton - now I just need to fix bits that need to be polished off, if that, and I'm all set :)