AuthorTopic: PixelDad [updated]  (Read 4485 times)

Offline DayDream

• View Profile
    • spriteattack.com

PixelDad [updated]

on: November 30, 2005, 06:34:54 am
I am starting to enjoy the pixeling for fun... doesn't help with work though  :-\
[ but hey... another late nighter  :) ]

PixelDad - thanks to Chilly for giving me an excuse to avoid work even longer...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 01:23:22 pm by DayDream »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: PixelDad

Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 08:27:10 am
Hello. I like this, it's generally a good balance between detail work and vibrant cartoony-ness. However, here's some crits:

The highlight you've given the hair is plastic and 'dirty'. It doesn't complement the volume and texture of hair well.  There's something really wrong going on with the colours there too. There's gray pixels that are almost interchangable with some yellow-ish tinted pixels, and generally much palette wastefulness. Hair is difficult to render properly, but a 'blob'ish highlight makes them look like they're wrapped in a thin layer of plastic.

The face is a pretty good render, I like the expression and mood. The tie seems a bit underdeveloped with just a dither. shoes, shirt, places where you use the hair colours all are executed 'dirty'. This is 31 colours, and it could probably be dropped to about 16 for no loss, if that's your thing.

Maybe the black outlines on the hands aren't needed, and shapes could be defined just as well with some buffered dark colours.

What is the green square behind him? It's underdeveloped to the point where I have to ask what it is.

Offline DayDream

• View Profile
    • spriteattack.com

Re: PixelDad

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 10:52:39 am
Thanks, Helm... you picked all the points I wasn't happy with... but seeing I played with this figure for 1 hour today - while I should have been working on "real work" I thought I share this... I will sit down and redo those elements in the next few days...
As far as colour goes... yes... it could probably be reduced to 24 - 26 colours or below - 32cols is just a number I like to work with... :)

[updated] could have it sit there unfinished... :)

« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 01:22:57 pm by DayDream »

Offline Chilly

• n.n /
    • View Profile

Re: PixelDad [updated]

Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 04:05:48 pm
Wow, it looks even better than it did last night! I'm sorry if I caused you to miss out on some work, but I am happy to assist you in escaping stress. XD

PixelDad is a pretty good father, busy with work but cares for his young pixels!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 01:49:56 am by Chilly »

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 07:41:58 pm
you got a pretty strange use of black... makes it look stylish though, but what's not black looks almost like cg, and the black outline brings it back to pixelart.

it's a nice image, nice cartoony proportions and overal a funny idea!

take care,

Kazuya
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Mjonttu

• atari_for_macintosh!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 08:09:41 pm
Wonderful idea.
But like Helm said, hair looks a bit plastic
And, umm, what the heck is that green thing behind him?

mjonttu.

Offline DayDream

• View Profile
    • spriteattack.com

Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 10:08:36 pm
Kazuya Mochu - the whole shape had a black outline in the early versions and I have take the harsh edge off in places...

Mjonttu - I thought the hair was fixed in the edit... and the green thing is another "pixel" hanging off dad's leg... took that one out...

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 07:42:09 am
I think the general color choice is nice: Illuminated, clean but not overly saturant, very good. The dithering is more out of place than anything else: choice of dither style seems too simple and used only minimally. Style of the linework is very good albeit a little loose in the features. There's an inconsistency of sharpness all over the work. As Helm mentioned, there is an excess of color. Dirty looking leftovers from the CG shading process. Check the outline of the cheek.. seems a bit decayed looking for an outline. Gamma issues call into question the use of black, as I think Helm was suggesting the use of alternate dark shades instead of black. A very dark blue gray, for example, might look nice against the general yellow color in the hair and face. Your edit is alright, but you could still do more to improve. Mainly sharpness issues.

Offline Mjonttu

• atari_for_macintosh!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 05:22:02 pm
DayDream - Sorry, i didn't notice that,  but still something wrong with the hair..