AuthorTopic: Problems running.  (Read 8056 times)

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Problems running.

on: February 04, 2008, 03:41:54 am
I was pretty hesitant to post some stuff since there are a few active threads about walk animations, which I have read over and over but still have problems. I keep attempting to fix the problems but new ones seem to appear.

The blue leg seems like it slides back and should be skate boarding or something. This is supposed to be a run animation but seems more like an awkward walk.
Any advice, comments, criticisms or edits are more than welcome.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: Problems running.

Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 03:48:48 am
As a leg is going forward it needs to be lifted in the air and kinda folded, until it extends and goes back again.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 03:58:31 am
Gah ofcourse. I should've been more aware of that I feel like an idiot. Legs aren't pendulums, they're legs. I'll fix this tonight and maybe throw some arms on the guy. Do you think he should lean forward a bit more?

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 04:23:00 am
Do you think he should lean forward a bit more?
Depends on what type of personality the character is going to have. Just about everything can vary based on that, actually.
I'd say from what you have, though, that yes, he should lean forward more.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 05:29:01 am

The green leg is giving me some trouble but I think I'll tweak it as I go. I'll start having the little guy lean forward, posture isn't that important when you're chasing things.

EDIT!
Posture is changed to be better for running and I made the animation 1/3 faster.

Thanks for the help Sherman Gill. I'll keep this thread update with my progress.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 05:45:14 am by JonathanOfDrain »

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 01:54:45 pm

Hey Jon, i think i prefer this version's posture. The other seems awkward and strained. The first is somewhat comedic, with the chest out etc, so it would depend on how you wanna go with this whether you want to use that. I imagine you don't really. At any rate the newer one is awkward looking, however i can't pinpoint why atm, maybe someone else will be able to.

Offline Code_wizard

• Dance you little elf, dance I say!
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 06:46:38 pm
Yes, must be wary of the lean back walk......   :blind:

Offline thedaemon

• thedaemon
    • View Profile
    • personal website

Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 11:53:01 pm
The left legs crosses the right leg when it steps. Also, don't forget that your leg has to hit the ground before your other leg comes off of it when you are walking.
gemini://thedaemons.space
https://thedaemons.space

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 12:18:32 am
The left legs crosses the right leg when it steps. Also, don't forget that your leg has to hit the ground before your other leg comes off of it when you are walking.
I don't really know what you mean, do you mind elaborating or editing?

Hey Jon, i think i prefer this version's posture. The other seems awkward and strained. The first is somewhat comedic, with the chest out etc, so it would depend on how you wanna go with this whether you want to use that. I imagine you don't really. At any rate the newer one is awkward looking, however i can't pinpoint why atm, maybe someone else will be able to.
I see what you mean, seem like he's looking down somehow. I slapped on some colors to give a better idea of what I'm trying to do. It doesn't look too bad with some colors.
These aren't final but they're close to what I want.
I think there are few little issues with the walk that are bothering but I can't seem to put my finger on it. I use a touch pad so that could be a pun. Any good references I use? video game or real life. I'm not trying to make this look cartoony but that's exactly what it's becoming. I'll probably update this later tonight.
Thanks for all the help so far.

EDIT!
Changed the colors a bit and threw the poor guy on land. I think I'm being a little paranoid but does it seem like he's looking at us?
EDIT! v2.0 :D
He's shaded and looking forward. I think I'll highlight the background limbs less.
EDIT! v3.0 D:

Does it look like he's kicking his own ass? Should I get rid of that frame? Should I bump my this thread when I've made more progress?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 02:48:30 am by JonathanOfDrain »

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Issues walking and the ground.

Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 10:24:11 pm
I'm been fighting myself not to do a bump, but this walk animation is really causing my brain serious issues.
OLD | NEW

There are obvious improvements but there are some things that are getting worse and I have no idea how to fix them.
While you're giving advice do you think you could give me some pointers on tiles? I think the rocks are a bit too identifiable to be use so I'll probably scrap them. I'll get to the grass when my brain gets some rest. In the mean time it's

Thanks for all the help so far and any future help.