AuthorTopic: June animations  (Read 8519 times)

Offline BlackFang

• View Profile

June animations

on: February 01, 2008, 04:34:32 pm
Well, now that i've almost finished my space shooter game i wanna start a plataformer, and i had never animated humans before, so ill need some help here

what i have now (started yesterday):

-EDIT-

On the animation i think i need 2 more frames when the legs are in the middle of the body
On the portrait, a lot of work, especially AA
need some critics here
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 09:22:46 pm by BlackFang »

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Re: Sarah animations

Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 03:00:49 pm
Here's are a few pointers.

Animation:
I think there is too much going on in the design of the character. I can't easily separate body parts from eachother. The hands and feet get lost in the animation. She looks cool but is hard to read currently.

The supposed contact frames are weak. You could add frames with a better heal strike and a better foot leaving the ground but I wish you had drawn those first. You'll probably get your frames out of sync otherwise.

Her head is bounching around rather randomly. Try and find path it can move along be that eliptical or in the shape of an 8 or something like that.

Portait:
Plus points for not using any dithering
Minus points for "banding"

Offline thedaemon

• thedaemon
    • View Profile
    • personal website

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 03:54:34 am
When you walk you head bobs up and down a bit, maybe an inch. When you jog you head bobs up and down quite a lot. When you run your head bobs a bit like when you walk. The reason is because when you jog your body has to pause and wait for the other foot to catch up. When running and walking your body times everything out much better and you get a smoother vertical movement. Analyze some reference footage, take it of yourself if you want, and walk, jog, then run.

I also thing her arms are timed wrong. You should have her arm in the middle of its arc for 1 frame, then the other frames it should be closer to then ends. When you swing your arms you have to slow down and turn around, so therefore your arm has to spend more time at the ends.

Well, hope this helps.
gemini://thedaemons.space
https://thedaemons.space

Offline Nebopolassar

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 06:04:01 am
I like the look of the full-tilt run, but the way she is leaning farward kind of awkwardly like shes about to fall forward. The way that she is leaning forward almost makes it look like she's plodding along under a heavy weight or something. But I definitely like the style of the run.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 12:14:33 pm
This won't read as a run until both frames visibly are off the ground at the same time. Right now it's an agitated power-walk! It's an easy fix though :)

Offline BlackFang

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 06:35:14 pm
Ill add 2 more frames then, with the legs off the ground and the arms on the extreme to fix the timing thedaemon pointed

the head ill try to fix it... its hard since im making the frams on the mspaint, so i dont really know where the head should be without seeing the entire animation, but ill try

the read problem that robotacon pointed i dont really think thats a problem, the legs i think its readable enough and the arm you can see the bracelet, so you know where the arm is, and with the animation you can follow its movement... but if everyone think im wrong i can add another color to fix it

Offline BlackFang

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 09:22:08 pm
OLD
NEW

I tried to do what helm said without  making another frame, i dont know but i think its a little more fluid now... i tried to change her arm in one frame but its hard to notice... ill try again now, and the problem with the head is kinda hard to fix

Changed her name too

-EDIT-
now ill focus on the shoulder and the metal colors
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 10:19:36 pm by BlackFang »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: June animations

Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 02:06:30 am
You get a big improvement if you delete frame 4 and 8.

Also make sure arms are as far back when the leg is as far forward. I think your arms are one frame too far ahead.

Getting rid of gloves would help make it more readable (or maybe different color?).

edit: Are you using a reference?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 02:32:29 am
push the armor back to the chest i think, or even remove, that whole section is unreadable right now.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline BlackFang

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 04:25:45 am
I dont think is worth to change the character concept only to make the hand more readable, dont you guys think that its enough for an action game?? i prefer to make something simple and pretty than 100% readable, im mory worried with the mistakes than the style, like the head and the shoulder movement.

Of course im not complaining about the critics, im pretty happy with the feedback here, but i think everybody is pointing at a subject that isnīt that important, as long as the legs and arms movement are ok, its only a matter of adding another shade color to fix the read problem

and i didnt use any references, started from here (of course a lot have changed):