AuthorTopic: [WIP] tiles n trees  (Read 4265 times)

Offline MikeG

• View Profile

[WIP] tiles n trees

on: February 01, 2008, 06:55:25 am
hey guys, ive started working on a 32x32 tileset, and so far am pretty happy with how its progessing.

I like the grass and dirt tiles quite a bit (the grass might be a bit too bright), and the "clayish" ones look ok, but i dont know if i'll keep them, they seem a bit out of place next to the other tiles.

Anyway, i've started doing a tree (it will be the biggest single "thing" i've ever done, weighing in at a hefty 105x107), and would like some critique on the general shape of it, and the detailing on the left part, which i've spent about an hour on, but don't want to invest too much more time in if it looks like crap :)

anyway, i'd certainly appreciate any suggestions you might have on any of the tiles, or the tree.

on the left is all the tiles sorted out, and the rights a sort of quick mockup of how they fit together

thanks!

Offline Salvage

• lets pee in the corner, lets pee in the spotlight
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] tiles n trees

Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 07:17:48 am
Grass and dirt = fun! Very detailed looking. Maybe consider a bit more top down perspective on the tree. It looks like a sidescroller object that got ported over to a top down tileset Also, cast shadow will help a lot.

Offline MikeG

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 08:51:28 am
ive edited the tree a bit, its now a lot smaller and more top-down.
i dont know how to do a trunk for it, or if it even needs a trunk at all anymore...

i think it looks pretty good :)

maybe its a bit too round now though, what do you reckon?

Offline MikeG

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 02:46:18 am
i did a bit more work on the tree, and came up with a fairly nifty way of doing the shadows.

Each ground tile has an equivalent shadow tile, which is masked by a black blob of shadow for each thing that casts a shadow. Yea... what he said. heh

anyway, here's the latest and greatest batch of tiley goodness.
I think i'll add some more grass variants, as well as a border between dirt-clay. I think i like the clay after all

as always, critiques are very welcome.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 03:27:14 am
since this seems rather RPGmakeresque, why not take a leaf out of their book and make the shadow a purple/blue color instead of black?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline MikeG

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 03:56:50 am
although i have no engine for my game, i may eventually make one.
In my "conceptual" engine, the black of the shadow doesn't actually ever show, its there to determine what sections of the light ground are transparent, and hence will show the dark ground through.

I also just googled rpgmaker, and based on the 4 images i looked at, i'm struggling to see how my tiles are similar, since rpgmaker seems to be a program to put tiles all together into a game, rather than actually design them. What about them is similar?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 04:33:23 am
although i have no engine for my game, i may eventually make one.
In my "conceptual" engine, the black of the shadow doesn't actually ever show, its there to determine what sections of the light ground are transparent, and hence will show the dark ground through.

in that case, i think your dark ground could deal with a blue tint.  in general actually, the whole thing could use a bit of extra bam with the color.

I also just googled rpgmaker, and based on the 4 images i looked at, i'm struggling to see how my tiles are similar, since rpgmaker seems to be a program to put tiles all together into a game, rather than actually design them. What about them is similar?

the layout of your tilesets is almost identical.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.