AuthorTopic: [WIP] Isometric City again (this time with editing done)  (Read 7695 times)

Offline ccaveman

• View Profile
Hello, I'm sorry for all of that before. I wasn't clear on what was ripping and what wasn't; therefore, I have edited all of the questionable material out of it for some comments and critique. I have a reference thumbnail for a couple of things. Tell me if it is too close to it, as I don't want to rip. I want to improve.

Reference (pipe in top left corner):

http://imgbolt.com/public/84025/ecity-all.png

My image (Old):

My image (Newest):

« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 03:47:13 am by ccaveman »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Isometric City again (this time with editing done)

Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 06:01:44 am
oof. Would you please post the full reference and not just a thumbnail? :)
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Salvage

• lets pee in the corner, lets pee in the spotlight
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 07:13:11 am
Very clean looking. If there are going to be people in the city, maybe start by sketching some in first. This will give you a relative idea of the scale and resolution you will need. Personally I feel you are working at a very high resolution and scale. This would only be necessary if you were creating very detailed people. Otherwise, you could probably get better results by working with a smaller scale and pushing the limits of detail as low resolution as possible.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 09:40:10 am
Its all just random.  Some of the buildings have corner highlights, some dont.  Some things have black outlines and others dont.  I would chose one and keep it all the same.

Offline ccaveman

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 01:08:53 pm
Thank you for your comments, I'll edit a little later, I have to go now. I'll also make the thumbnail image bigger. [Done]

Edit: I have added some highlights to the corners. I also made a "prototype" person picking up the can from the vending machine. Lastly, I have added some detail to the window door of the yellow house in the south of the picture.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 12:15:57 am by ccaveman »

Offline ccaveman

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 01:38:34 am
I'm going to post individual pictures from now on (i.e. a building instead of the whole scene) because of the space it seems to take up. Once I get a lot more objects into the scene, I'll show the whole scene for some review.

Edit: Isometric man/woman sketch (updated man from the above picture)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 04:55:47 am by ccaveman »

Offline MikeG

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 01:44:14 pm
I think their left (our right) arms should be a little bit longer, maybe one or two pixels.

You probably do need the black outline around the perimeter of the people to keep the style consistent with the rest of the piece, but i think you can get away without outlining the head / the line between the legs, etc. Try to work actual meaningful details into the faces, like their noses and cheeks and everything.

but good work so far nonetheless!
For some reason i really like the traffic cones and rubbish bins.

Offline ccaveman

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 08:38:27 pm
I've updated the arms of the of people and some shading in the face. I don't really know how to go about making a nose for something this small. Thanks for your comment because I think they look better than before.

People update:

Old:                             New:

I updated a bunch of things on the city:

« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 05:13:32 am by ccaveman »

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 07:39:56 pm
This is more of a style complaint than anything else. but why does most isometric pixelart have to look so sterile? There's no texture on any of the buildings, people or even the grass. I think you should really work on that. Unless this style is fine for you, then ignore what I just said. I just think it's very bland and boring.

Offline MikeG

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 02:22:55 am
I did a quick edit on the man, both with and without a black outline. I tried to clean up the shading a bit, and put some more detail into the face.

The scene could certainly use some shadows to give it a bit more depth.

And like every other isometric pixel art piece thats ever been attempted, its all about the little details that give it life. cars, more people, animals, smoke, etc all add up to make these sorts of scenes more than the sum of their parts. Just keep adding things (as long as they're consistent with the style of the other bits) and you can't really go wrong!