HAZMAT

on: August 04, 2005, 08:53:39 pm

i smell sex and candy...yeah!
alexander

Offline lief

• View Profile

Re: HAZMAT

Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 10:17:01 pm
you have a very painterly style which negates a lot of the usual pixelart C+c.
the suit doesn't seem to have much depth, it has a lot of general detail and localised/detail shading but no overall shading or tone.  Maybe the shade tones need to be darker?
Thumb on his left hand is poorly formed, cannot tell whether it just a side effect of style or not.
arty piece.

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 12:10:36 am
and updated!
alexander

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 12:23:18 am
should have left old one there so we can compare / see progress.
i forgot to say that despite the C&C i do like the piece.

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 01:06:47 am
Sorry about that it was an accident. All i really added was the word. the letter and fiddled with the hand.
alexander

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 01:59:25 am
Is his left (our view) winking or what? Its a pretty ambiguous area, methinks. It's pretty awesome though, whats the thing in the right lower corner?
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 05:50:51 am
Very sweet and original. The color choice is very good, although when I think of hazmat suits, i usually think of orange and gray. As for the outlines and overall shape, it looks like a business man infected by a nuclear cartoon; I like it. Some things to ponder about though. Its like you got a aa thing kind of around the oulines, and you went aa crazy on the letters, but there lis virtually no aa in the shading and highlights. I don't know if that was intentional, but it may look better with it. I also am wondering about the nubs on his hands. Are the thumbs or like knuckle-padding on is suit or something? Because if they are thumbs, they are way out of place.  Other than that stuff, great work. I like it alot. Keep up the great stuff.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 08:07:38 am
what's going on with the random AA? Go back to the contours of the sprite and try to smooth out the transition from colour to black more uniformly, while avoiding blurryness or the breaking effect. I know it's hard, AA is hard, computers do it better, but broken AA is even worse. Right now, at 1x zoom things are ok, I guess, but Pixel Art is artwork designed to a high degree of pixel-level intent. (god, I love the wiki) so when I zoom in, it's full of arbiterate placements and 'errors' in the aa. It's awfully close to pillow-shading in places, although I can understand the art style, so I guess a more centralized lightsource might be a good idea. I'd lighten out on the buffering of some of the detail work. Too heavy right now.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 06:48:46 pm
Listen to Helm, he is good :D
Also you have aa'ed some 45 degree lines and that is not necessary as they wont get any smoother just fatter/blurrier. Notable esp on the top left curve of the head.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 10:40:42 pm
thanks for the kickass replies duders. ill do what i can. keep in mind i have no good knowledge of much pixeling shit. i just paint with them lol. i have no real experience with the whole AA dealy. i just do the best i can to be honest. i dont know all the laws to apply to the angles. Ill see what i can do though. thank you.
alexander