AuthorTopic: [WIP] Girl with cat  (Read 4873 times)

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

[WIP] Girl with cat

on: January 31, 2008, 09:54:32 am
Introducing Rolf, my stuffed cat. :) 14 colors.

I was going for something less realistic, initially, and started out with a mirror as reference. Then I looked at some pictures of myself because I thought I'd gotten the proportions wrong, but I apparently have short legs. :huh:

What do you think of it so far?

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Re: [WIP] Girl with cat

Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 11:11:53 am
I think its awesome. the skin is very convincing.
you don't have short legs. the thing is you are probably to close to the mirror to judge the proportions right. since your eyes are up in the body, looking down causes foreshortening and the illusion of shorter lowerbody. but hey, this is an image you are creating, you can be however you want.

no what I think is out of porportions is your head, but that looks intencional.

keep going!
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Lee N

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 10:49:12 pm
What do you think of it so far?
You have very long hair.

In all seriousness though, I think the face is a bit too symmetrical. Other than that, I like it alot.

Offline #36005A

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 11:54:52 pm
Love it! Reminds me of the characters that are shown intermittently when an error occurs on the Game Boy Camera. Great style!

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 10:06:33 am
Glad you guys like it. :D

the thing is you are probably to close to the mirror to judge the proportions right. since your eyes are up in the body, looking down causes foreshortening and the illusion of shorter lowerbody.
I thought it might be something like that, but as far as I can tell from measuring, it's pretty accurate as it is now. But, yes, the big head is intentional. :)

In all seriousness though, I think the face is a bit too symmetrical.

Well, I guess I could try changing the facial expression a bit, like raising one eyebrow a bit more than the other. Or do you have any other ideas?

Gave myself a bigger hand, and adjusted the palette slightly. 15 colors now. I think I might need to darken the pants a bit to match the rest since there's more contrast in the top half with all the dark hair. Hm, the hand is a bit dark, too. Anything else?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 04:09:05 pm
Well, I guess I could try changing the facial expression a bit, like raising one eyebrow a bit more than the other. Or do you have any other ideas?

If there's one thing this piece doesn't need, is artificial and forced 'cartoon face 'tude'. I find the expression to be just fine as it is, personally. This is pretty wonderful generally, if there's oe thing I'd bring to your attention is the homogenic quality of the palette: It might be a bit *too* homogenic. Why not have less palette sharing between elements? I know I usually say the opposite but this looks monochromatic and the face catches most of the attention, which while making sense doesn't have to be necessarily so.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 07:13:35 pm

Oh, good point. I gave changing the color of the sweater a try to break up the monotony a bit and make Rolf a bit easier to distinguish from the rest. 17 colors now. :)

Edit:  :hehe:

« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 10:43:32 am by Arachne »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 11:54:54 am
You always have to do that eh?
maybe make an animated gif containing flashes the 'dead' version every # seconds >.<
Love how the stuffed cat hangs down while rotting in there.