AuthorTopic: moving out of my comfort zone *update x3 (+some iso stuff) (++ a new face)  (Read 8296 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: moving out of my comfort zone *update

Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 04:13:28 pm
newest version, I think the left eye is one pixel too much to the left (ours) and about... half a pixel too high, heh.

The facial expressions are a bit qhoulish. Is this because you want it to be so or is this because this is how you draw faces up to now? Considering the flush lightsource you can't really have a dark bit under the nose and over the lips, nor can you really have deep eye shadows. Not that they don't look good, but they don't make much sense given that he's looking at some computer screen. Generally for a facial study the lightsource you've chosen isn't very helpful.

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Re: moving out of my comfort zone *update

Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 03:12:25 pm
Thanks for the crits

How's this:

Mainly tried to address the lightening issue. Thanks for the references Lawrene... next time I'll go find some before i start- pretty muh had to redo the facial shading sine the lightning was so off. And yea helm - prob. not the best idea to use a lightsource like this.

Did some ISO recently for a commercial project i unfortunately had to quit. Might as well show it here:

They're all made up of three parts. The middle part can be left out or tiled to make different sizes.
I have some more, but they're still pretty wip'ish. If i can summon the energy to do so, i'll finish 'em and post

/vedsten

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: moving out of my comfort zone *update x2 (+some iso stuff)

Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 03:20:47 pm
now all the facial characteristics are squashed on the bottom part of a very long head. I'd pull the hair down and squash their volume a bit. The actual lighting is much better. I can't really tell what you need to work on now until you do a different study from a different point of view and lighting condition.

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Re: moving out of my comfort zone *update x2 (+some iso stuff)

Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 11:58:56 pm
Thx for the crit

Final version?

+ A new piece

I learned alot doing this, and i thought I'd stay on track by pushing myself a little bit further. I've never done a female face so behold, i give you generic smiling woman for you to c&c on:

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile
I originally started this edit just to add some aa and change certain highlights, but I ended up changing it more than I'd expected, sorry:

just a few things:
- Eyes may be white but they still receive shadows.
- the biggest lighting error I saw was the bottom right part of the (our) left eye cavity area which I think should be lit.
- Antialiasing. On a piece of this size, a pixel is the equivalent size of a small pea (about 4mm); certain parts, like the pupils, may need to be adjusted by less than that distance otherwise they'll look like they are a few mm in the wrong place. (I'm sure you know this, I'm just saying this for others).
- a few anatomy changes
I hope the edit is useful, and sorry if I went overboard. :-[
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 02:25:54 am by Lawrence »

Offline zi

• I wish you success :)
    • View Profile
    • just one account :)
on the buildings have poor shadows in many places as walls and roofs /just look in right building where must have shadows from tent there is your light part !/, also some of the objects are flipped /as lamps in center building/ ... in some areas you can add depth /just look center building between floors/ ... objects /lamps and coffee sign/ are biggest if you keep them you will have 3 types of scales in work and this isn't good I think ...

I like very much colours which you choose !
=====================
:) GDGB :)