AuthorTopic: Some new stuff  (Read 5547 times)

Offline Joshua

• jrobgraphics
    • View Profile
    • jrobportfolio

Some new stuff

on: January 30, 2008, 03:49:10 am

I decided to pick back up my zombie game. This is the beginning of the mockup which will soon follow.

One of many drafts of the main character for my game.

This is a test for a potential job opportunity that I'm assuming I didn't get. The sprites had to be 10x10 for some reason.

C&C welcome..

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Re: Some new stuff

Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 04:41:24 pm
awesome work!!!!

I specially like the topdown dudes, and the little ones one the mockup. maybe 10x10 so you get +6 pixels for animation, like jumping or rolling. I dunno, just guessing
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 10:18:19 pm
fabulous stuff joshua, good palettes, anatomy, perspective, pixel economy, all that good stuff.  I would like to see the top down dudes in their environment, I'm worried about their shadows a little bit, and the pose on the side view of the main character seems unlikely, mainly his right arm there.  Great work!

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 11:17:03 pm
I'm a fan of your work Joshua.

I especially love that mockup. Sky looks unfinished but i imagine it just is. The explosion itself is really interesting, along with the tiny sprites (which pack in all that detail).

Unfortunately i don't have any blinding crits. With your yellow vested guy's side-view draft thing, i'm not keen on how straight his gun-arm angle is, maybe even if you angled the gun alone it would sort that. His left foot also looks like it has a raised heel, just wondered whether that was on purpose.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 11:22:05 pm by Larwick »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 11:20:18 pm

Hello comrade. Your work is very good as it usually is. My edits are nitpicks that concern most of all, the power of single pixels to make quite a bit of a difference when all altered. You should consider the power of the single pixel and concern yourself with optimal placement for the extra 5% of awesomeness.

Offline Joshua

• jrobgraphics
    • View Profile
    • jrobportfolio

Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 11:41:18 pm

WIP of a zombie for the mockup. Progression from left to right. Still not done with the version on the right. I'm tempted to look up pictures of corpses to get that authentic rotting look but.. thats really gross and I don't have the stomach to go searching for the right ones. The weird colors on it are because I did my best to remember what some of the zombies looked like from the zombie movies.

Thanks everyone for the crits.

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 12:49:29 am
Cant quite put my finger on what the fuck it is, but your work have some distinct flavor to it that i absolutely love.

These are awesome, especially top-down ones

Offline Joshua

• jrobgraphics
    • View Profile
    • jrobportfolio

Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 08:34:43 pm

Hippy zombie girl! I dunno, I think I mucked the shadow of the fat zombie up a bit, I was wanting some help on that.

By the way, this game takes place in the 70s if you were wondering about the hair and bell bottoms.

ps- I'm starting the mockup now that I have some sprites ready for it.

Offline Joshua

• jrobgraphics
    • View Profile
    • jrobportfolio

Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 09:15:11 pm
WIP

I don't think I'll get the perspective absolutely perfect using tiles in this angle but I think I'm close. Crits please?

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 03:32:58 am
For the difference in the slope of the two sides for the roof to be so slight, the difference in value sure is vast.

Are those garages? They seem a bit thin.
So does the doorway, for those people.