AuthorTopic: New self portrait...  (Read 4299 times)

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

New self portrait...

on: January 11, 2008, 08:26:27 am
im tired of my fadatar...ahem

i wanted to do something bigger to replace my fadatar, and so this was the result. Far more accurate, due to the space, and I like the colors alot more...I'll use it as my avatar when im satisfied with it.used a mirror, and what ive seen of myself in the mirror whilst wearing my jacket, as a reference.
c&c would help, as always.
26 colors...lol...i didnt really restrict myself much this time.

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Re: New self portrait...

Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 12:32:07 pm
To be informative: it's at least 72 pixels over size restrictions in both dimensions

The piece itself: The face gets lost amounts those dark areas of color with its low contrast. I suggest playing with the skin palette

Offline HMC

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 03:35:24 pm
I agree with Zolthorg about the contrast on the face. Also, I don't really like the fact that the skin is dithered but nothing else really is. He looks like some kind of muppet.

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 04:59:41 am
ehehe...the skin dither was a horrible job in my opinion..i really shouldn't pixel when I'm tired.
zolthorg; i know its too big, i wanted a full size pic and a cropped one as an avatar...wasn't clear about that. my bad. i've tried to up the contrast like you said...
is this any better?

also worked out some expression issues and facial anatomy....
thanks for the crit ^^

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 06:21:10 am
updated...

heh, looked in the mirror this morning and my hair had grown quite a bit since i last worked on this portrait...which is odd, seeing as that was only....16 days ago.
I updated the palette, which is now 22 colors, and has a tad different style about it. I also AA'd a lot...
and encase you're wondering, thats the palette in the upper right hand corner...

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 12:14:40 pm
that's looking alot better. I think the shading method you used on the colar of the jacked was much more "informative". as to say it held alot more information as to the surface you were shading. I'm happy to see you applied it also to the face.

you might wanna consider casting a shadow from to hair to the face. because the way it is right now, makes it look like its cutting through the skin. no shadow, no overlapping = flat!

Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 06:29:01 am
Ahh yes thank you. I had noticed the hair was off in some way...but I didn't think about that.
added shadow on the hair and i fixed up the sides of he face a bit.