AuthorTopic: GBA SP  (Read 7263 times)

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Re: GBA SP

Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 11:35:20 pm
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 11:45:33 pm
I have a GBA SP, i could take some good pics.

If you want. ;)

Offline MadeyeMike

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 11:55:25 pm
That would be great if you could. If you could try to get pics of each side

edit:

« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 12:31:05 am by MadeyeMike »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 03:24:30 am
Mine -> <- Yours
I'm mainly here today to talk about light direction, forms, and anti-aliasing.
We'll start with my sucktastic diagram, labeled (A):
What you need to take note is that opposite to the edge with the darkest shadows will be the edge with the lightest highlights. The dark shadow is caused by angled light going over that edge, and then it hits the other slant. Since what we see is just stuff reflecting off of things, imagine it like mirrors. The light goes ---> onto the slope, which would be like /, then it reflects towards our eyes (the vertical bars and ^ in the picture below)
So, light ends up reflecting like this:
Code: [Select]
....(EYE)
......^
......|
......|
---->  /
So, slants that reflect light towards our eyes will always be brighter then other areas. Every object on the world behaves like a mirror, it just depends on how much visible light is reflected.

You also need to pay attention to lightsource and keep it in mind with every part of the image. Why would a light be hitting the screen from the top left, not affecting the edges of the top part of the console, and hitting the top right of an indent? It wouldn't. Even if there were multiple lightsources you still need to keep the first in line.

Now time for anti-aliasing:
You've got the shades in your picture to handle it (Well, you could use another darker highlight, like the one I added, for maximum smoooothness), so you really should try to add it :).
This will be a pretty bad explanation since I'm getting tired of writing, but, you got jaggies on the edges of the indents the buttons fit into. Jaggies are those little bastard pixels that make things look jagged. The AA on my edit isn't so great, but it gets the job done, but look close (click to zoom images on this forum!), I've got lighter shades next to the dark shades, making it look smoother. How this works is that anti-aliasing is pretty much making pixels that look smaller then actual pixels, because they're between the colors of the colors they're smoothing things out between, they look like they're part of both objects, and uh... losing my point here. Pretty much, each pixel used for AA should be thought of as less then a pixel, and use them to make a slope that jumps around less then it would otherwise, like:
Code: [Select]
(++ = Full pixel; - = AA pixel)
 ++
Normal pixel slope
    ++
    ++
  ++++
  ++++

Anti-aliased slope
     -
    ++
   -++
  ++++
 -++++
If you're confused, tell me and I'll try to explain it clearer.

:-* With mucho love,
 --Lorne
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 12:17:52 pm
Yes Sherman Gill, exacly what I would do if I edited. if you want to creat the ilusion of carved in at the buttons area, you should use, in the most simple way, a darker and a brighter shado, to convey the sense of dark and bright, in order to simulate the object facing away or towards the light. by addin a dark outline around the area you shade, you break the effect. you should instead use the brighter and darker shades separatly, and have them describe the outline.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!