AuthorTopic: [WIP] Dragon (last edit jan 30)  (Read 4513 times)

Offline MadeyeMike

• View Profile

[WIP] Dragon (last edit jan 30)

on: January 28, 2008, 11:26:00 pm
I just finished the line-art for my dragon but it doesn't look the best. I'm hoping you guys can give me some suggestions before I start coloring it.

Edit: I colored his globe

Edit: A bit more coloring. Still no comments?  ???

Edit: More coloring. Glob, head, and boots are done unless I get some comments

Edit: Changed the wings so it looks like they connect with the body lower and started to shade the torso

« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 06:34:24 am by MadeyeMike »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: [WIP] Dragon (last edit jan 30)

Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 10:30:32 pm
why mirror your lineart if you're going to actually shade the whole thing by hand anyways?  This is a weird, boring pose for an oddly shaped character with strange wing and face structure.  You need a more dynamic, interesting pose that isn't just a coloring book, straight-down-the-Z-axis cookie cutter projection!  Also, before you dither, and split up all your colors into completely separate ramps, I would recommend roughly coloring your image with just a few shades of gray, to practice your lighting and figure out the volumes, and then start building up your colors in a nice, organic way, only adding new ones when you need them.  Boots are not always brown, crystal balls are not always blue - even when they are brown and blue!  Light and reflections change the color of the surfaces we see, and if you start to mix your hues more you will be taking a step towards that phenomenon.

My advice (which appears to be harsh as usual) is to work on a more interesting pose, and then work on a simple value study (i.e. a rough, grays only coloring pass).  THen you will be ready to start working on selecting colors, and adding dithering, etc.

You can't build a house on a cracked foundation!

Offline Franky G

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 08:51:35 am
Hey Mike

Its a good start but i do agree he looks a little out of shape.

When i saw this one for the first time the first thing that came to mind are those gothic dragon lamps that you can buy these days. Perhaps using one of these as a reference will help with this piece? I guess you can change it as you see fit but this should help a lot. I've found a reference

I think you'll notice pretty distinct differences between this and yours. I guess i'm not sure if you're willing to try this but trying to replicate this would be my suggestion.

Offline MadeyeMike

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 09:08:38 am
Hmm, So do you think I should just scrap this one and try to make at better one?

As for what I have right now, I was going for a dragon-like creature that had some human characteristics. He's suppoed to have a long snout(though now that I look at it I think I have the head to high). I pictured him as a magic user wich he draws from the orb. The orb is supposed to be lit from inside and the color matches the element he uses.

If I do keep this one, do you have any suggestions on how I should change the pose?

edit:

oh and he's symetric because I'm extremely horrible at anatmomy and perspective still and I keep sliping back into that bad habit without realising it :(
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 09:23:17 am by MadeyeMike »

Offline Franky G

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 11:11:53 am
No don't scrap it. This is a 1st draft, we can improve it but my advice is to not color this piece until you are happy with the outline or shape.

I personally think the arms and shoulders are sound. So lets work from here:
my poinion is that the stomach is too large and his hips and legs are out of proportion as a result. Using the shoulders as a base, i've toned this guy up a little and given him a bit of a different stance.

its rough and i know i probably would need to spend more time on this (my anatomy isn't great either.) but this should help? Let me know if this is more or less in the right direction.

Offline MadeyeMike

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 07:49:32 pm
hmm, I think I like him fatter, but the longer legs do look pretty good. I'll play around with it some more and see if I can figure something out. Also do you have any suggestions on the head? I want it to look like a long snout and not the elongated head of an alien, lol.

And since were on poses, maybe you can help me with these two before I get any further:

Offline Ar

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 11:54:56 pm
You make lines too technical and symmetrical. First draw sketch and after that clear the lines from unnecessary pixels, then make it carefully technical.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 12:02:49 am by Ar »
Every pixel is important.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 12:07:18 am
Better yet, don't make them symmetrical!!  At all!  And stop drawing things from imaginary ortho straight on perspective, it's boring.