AuthorTopic: Character portrait  (Read 4273 times)

Offline Royal Syrup

• View Profile

Character portrait

on: January 28, 2008, 12:05:44 am

C+C?

Offline rydath

• View Profile

Re: Character portrait

Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:24:47 pm
The face looks pretty good, in it's own style. I'd mostly fix up the hair. As it is now, it looks like a white foam wig. That dark gray indentation on the top left side is especially annoying, as it just looks like someone poked a dent in said foam.

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 07:47:59 pm
Fix the eyes. The furthest one seems to indicate as if it wraps around the head, and the eyes seem seperate distances apart from the nose than at the same naturally defined one.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 08:01:11 pm
I really dont have much to say about it, since I think its rather good and people above me have pointed out some nice things you can change.

but I can see that you have used some skin shades and I think you can use them better.
for example, on the cheeck you have a highlight, with a brighter shade of skin, that you should also use on the forehead. what this does is make it so it looks like the cheeck is closer to the view then the forehead, wich isn't necessarily right.

also on the mouth/chin area you use the same shade as in the forehead. and thats probably not the right way to go.

think of the face as a series of planes. and acording to their orientation and whether they are facing light or not, try to shade them accordinly. then you break it down for details.

Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Royal Syrup

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 07:08:18 am

Ah, it's been awhile and I'm a bit slow on stuff so here.

@rydath: I fixed the dent but the hair actually looks like that but I guess there's room for improvement.
@Ryan Cordel: His head is slightly tilted but yeah I understand what you mean and I wasn't sure to go about the nose, it's not a strength of mine :(
@Kazuya: I'm not sure what you're saying but I highlighted the forehead and removed the cheek's white shine.

I think he looks a bit weirder...

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 10:21:17 am
It's a pretty good start, but there are various things, I'll list them in the order they bugged me:
-brow/eye/cheek shouldn't be a continuous line
-i think it needs more shading or better definition on the nose, especially under the nose, but prolly on the bridge/around the eyes as well.
-ear should line up with the nose
-line up the mouth with the center of the face
-the collar is weird, right up against the face there, also, it doesn't seem to go all the way around his head.
-the hair on the left there is all random spikes, which you can do, but it has to follow basic rules for what hair can be like, or it won't really look like hair.

(this is mostly a guide to clarify what i'm saying, so don't worry if it looks kind of bad, the theory is sound)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 10:29:08 am by tocky »