AuthorTopic: Barn Scene, (W.I.P)  (Read 5624 times)

Offline I Am Uh

• I feel... Saturated to some degree, out of tone.
    • View Profile

Barn Scene, (W.I.P)

on: January 25, 2008, 11:07:40 pm
I just started this and I'm really interested in its potential. I'm not sure which way to go with the coloring, as in for Ex. Cartoony, Realistic or what. I do know one thing though it's gonna need some help. This should be fun, So please critic any line mistakes and what not, just any help would be good. Thanks. ;)

My Work: v

And the Ref: ^

Update:
Not sure if the wood planks on the barn are permanent, we'll see when it comes time for coloring. Still working on the lines at the moment. Any crits?

« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 03:17:00 am by I Am Uh »
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. What they oughta' say is...
Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) "Lord of War"
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline lilwing

• View Profile

Re: Barn Scene, (W.I.P)

Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 03:43:20 am
all art has potential.

before you start any further work, as far as lineart goes, the outlines on the front of the barn are incorrect, in terms of linear perspective. They shouldn't be quadrilaterals with right-angled corners.

Offline I Am Uh

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 05:50:14 am
I'm confused as to what you mean, How can the line be incorrect if there isn't a grid for it to follow? Its a single house. Besides, the lines in my art seem the same as the ones in the picture... Right? ???
Evil prevails.
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 06:36:57 am
Well your reference is a drawing, with incorrect perspective.
Lines can be incorrect when there's no grid to follow, because in fact, there's always a grid to follow. In this case one that leads to 2 vanishing points. (actually three but finding the 3d VP is alot of work on its own and its not too noticable either)z

Offline I Am Uh

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 07:22:28 am
So the photo is incorrect? Is that possible? :huh: And if so is it that big of a deal? Really I mean come on, is it like a really noticeable thing? I've never been that great with realistic perspectives, been working on it though. Could anyone maybe give me an example in witch direction to turn? Thanks.
Evil prevails.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 08:09:46 am
If this were a photo, the shades on that storage thing in the front would be far smoother right?

Offline I Am Uh

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 09:10:09 am
It's possibly a painting but to me it really just looks like a Photo taken on a clear day in the 50's or 60's. I don't know, maybe your right but thats not even the point. To me it just looks like a barn sitting in the middle of no where with some trees on the horizon. Give me an example of what you think the correct margins would be for this particular situation.
Evil prevails.

Offline Merick

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 11:48:45 am
in your lineart, you have it so that the rectangles on the front of the barn are the same height on both side, but going by the perspective in the original, the left sides should be a few pixels shorter

take a look at this cropped image, it should make it easier to see what I mean:

Offline I Am Uh

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 07:12:55 pm
Maybe you're right, But maybe it's just your eye playing a trick on you, or a distorted image. who knows. It's not not really that big of a deal to get all worked up about. Could some one maybe give me an example of what would be correct?
Evil prevails.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 07:22:48 pm
this is an ink drawing, photos almost never blow out everything but the edge of the grass, besides, look at how find yet sparse the details are.  photos cant do that.

the drawing however has far better perspective than your interpretation, and has a very sophisticated understanding of perspective in that it shows us a vista (as opposed to an intimate composition) which employs a very subtle, elegant bending that you won't find in most novice works*.  the lines are just plain not the same.  you need a ground plan for starters, and then you need to either copy or construct the forms as they ought to exist.

*trevorius - could you explain perhaps why you feel the perspective is wrong in the reference illustration?

And if so is it that big of a deal? Really I mean come on, is it like a really noticeable thing?
It was the first thing i noticed from the very first post when there were no replies, though i didn't have a chance to post about it then.  it stands out like a huge sore thumb and it's in your absolute best interest to learn how to show perspective - no small task, but very VERY important.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 07:28:10 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.