AuthorTopic: Speed collabs  (Read 9300 times)

Offline Skalle

• Skalle
    • View Profile

Speed collabs

on: November 29, 2005, 09:08:35 pm
This thread is for Speed Collaboration pixels.
Here I and Bo will post some speed collaborations that we've done.
Speed collabs are pixels that we've made together to practice getting better and more innovative with fast pixelations. First we decide on a theme. Then we immediately start drawing the lineart, and we have 10-15 minutes to do that roughly. Then we exchange linearts and color each others linearts for 10-15 minutes, perhaps a little longer.

Round #1: No theme

Bo lineart
Skalle color
Skalle lineart
Bo color

Round #2: Theme "Cyborg ninja"

Bo lineart
Skalle color
Skalle lineart
Bo color

We will try to continue making more of these and posting them in this thread. Others may post here as well if they make their own.

Offline Bo

• View Profile

Re: Speed collabs

Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 09:15:58 pm
well its not like i counted but the first one took way less than 15 minutes.

Offline Chilly

• n.n /
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 02:41:08 am
Nice collabs, though a bit too rushed and jagged. I noticed on the later collabs that you two at least covered up the black outlines. So with a bit more fine tuning, these would be great pieces. ; )

Offline Pegucha

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 05:44:19 am
hmm, I think fundamentally "speed pixeling" isn't as plausible as speed painting or sketching. When working fast, pixeling allows very little expressiveness. Granted, expressiveness can somewhat be shown through color choices and pixel placement, but pixel art in general seems too systematic for speed practices to be beneficial. I'm sure someone will disagree  :)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 08:28:17 am
Actually I completely agree that speed pixelling in one sense in unremarkable ( no attention to detail ) and on the other, the artists don't have time to ponder and learn anything about pixelling through them.

Offline Skalle

• Skalle
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 02:24:44 pm
Seems you don't like the idea too much :P

Anyways: When doing an amount of these, like one a day, I actually think we will learn some things. When doing many pictures, not spending too much time on each indivually we get to try out many different combinations, techniques and colors, without too much inconvenience. If we pick new colors in every picture we might get to know the colors better, hues, shades, and dithering colors etc. We may also get a deeper understanding of the most important things of the pictures, and what is best and easiest to do first and so on. We can learn from our mistakes, and trust me, 10 minutes is a lot of time to make mistakes :). When pixeling fast many times we may also learn to use certain techniques fast with a reasonable amount of accuracy. I.e. on the #2 that I colored I practiced to dither a lot, and adding a lightsource. The lightsource is pretty crappy and now that I study it afterwards I can think of different ways to make it better.

About innovation; we have to make pretty fast decisions. Given a theme, making up an idea of what to make and then immediately pixelling it, having to think fast, is good for future use I think.

Also it is fun  ;)

Offline initial_reality

• learn to live, live to learn
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 07:11:26 pm
Hi Skalle,
I honestly don't like those pieces very much but I think it's a good practice and you can get better doing a lot of them. As you said, we have to learn making the right choices.
I'd like to try myself a speedy collab sometime.
Good luck.

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 10:53:27 pm
honestly, I agree with helm. I see no point in speed collabs, as 90% of a truly professional piece of pixel art comes from the tweaking process. Speed is good in the sense of a timetable, but rushing pixel art is unproductive.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Skalle

• Skalle
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 11:17:08 pm
Of course, these speed collabs are not proffesional pieces. We do them most for practice, fun, and earlier mentioned reasons. I do think we will learn from them, and it is fun. Also, 10-15 is enough to make a pretty decent lineart at the right size with some practice.

Btw, we're doing a speed collab right now so I'll update pretty soon to add the results. The theme is "Mummy".

Round #3: Theme "Mummy"

Skalle line
Bo color
Bo line
Skalle color

The last one was a little tricky to color since there were so many lines, but I think it turned out fine in the end.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 11:42:45 pm by Skalle »

Offline Locrian

• View Profile
    • BURHTUN: online portfolio

Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 01:13:05 am
I like the colors of that last one.  It looks like his wrappings are made of gold. 

I also wouldn't think speed pixeling would be very productive, but each set seems to be better than the last, so maybe you two are on to something.