AuthorTopic: Wizard of Oz sprites (C&C welcome)  (Read 12361 times)

Offline mobichan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Licker

Re: Wizard of Oz sprites (C&C welcome)

Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 12:33:55 am

Adding the Cowardly Lion and fixed the tinman's axe head scaling (thanks for catching that thedaemon).  If anyone sees any issues with the current revs, C&C are welcome.  On to the Scarecrow!!   ;D

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 12:29:12 pm
what are these for?
 they look great
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline mobichan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Licker

Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 08:33:43 pm

Adding the Scarecrow.  As for what these are for, I was just getting some animation practice, since I don't think it's my strong suit.  I'd love to make a game based on the Oz theme (and not in the Burtonized American McGee artistic direction).  But for now, I just want to have fun making little people move around.   :)  More to come...

As always, C&C is appreciated.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 09:33:15 pm
Admirable use of subtle motion on the scarecrow's jacket! I think the main of the lion would benefit a LOT from that same type of movement (Meaning, visible, but still subtle. right now it's too subtle and has no bounce to it, yeh?)

Also, you've got good color separation, but there's little contrast in values on any of these. It's not so much of a problem now, but if you try to put them in an actual game environment, the lion especially could get lost in a similarly colored background.

:crazy:
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline mobichan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Licker

Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 12:17:27 am

I've added more movement to the lion's mane and some hat movement to the scarecrow.  I also added some more dark tones to the scarecrow to try and up the contrast, but I don't know exactly how I would increase overall contrast in the sprites to make them stand out on a background.  Maybe I'll try to make a quick environment in the future.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 12:57:42 am
The lions eyes are really bothering me. They are the brightest hue/color in the piece, therefore much more noticeable in the fact that when the impact hits it's front paws, the eyes do a strange bounce, that looks unnatural. I'd suggest using less movement in the eyes, to make it look less  random. Also, the mane to me doesn't seem to be giving the poofiness that most male lions have when they run. Maybe add 1 or 2 more brown hues to the mane to give it a little more realistic mane look, perhaps.

. . .

The Scarecrow's still eyes make him kinda' creepy. Also, I'd consider choosing another color other than green for him, as I mistook him for a Leprechaun at first, heh.
my back hurts...

Offline mobichan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Licker

Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 01:25:21 am
So, the Scarecrow needs to wear green, because that is the color of his clothes (he was made to resemble the Munchkins, who are always dressed in green).  And his face is painted on, so the eyes would be pretty stationary (an creepy).  If you ever see the old illustrations of him, I think they are a bit creepy too.

As for the lion, I was trying to make his eyes droopy/sad looking, so the animation is supposed to feel like the extra skin around his eyes is sagging and flopping.  Any suggestions on how I might get that kind of effect?  I can lessen the highlight color from pure white to something more around 80% white.  Do you think that is going to fix the problem you see?  I'm not sure I see the eyes as a problem, really. 

The mane is turning out to be harder than I thought.  I didn't want to make it too over-the-top since he is bounding/trotting and not running.  Do you mean to add more tones to make it look smoother?  Or add in some different browns to add variety to the differnt hair areas of his head?

Thanks for the feedback. 

Offline mobichan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Licker

Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 10:31:07 pm

Sorry if this is becoming more of an art dump thread.   :-[  But I'm adding Ozma (the princessof Oz), the Wonderful Wizard, and the Emerald City Gatekeeper.  I did the gatekeeper in 2 sizes, since he is supposed to be tall and lanky, but I wasn't really happy with him at 32x32 size.  I'm not sure if I want to animate them yet, so this might be where I run out of steam.

Any comments are appreciated.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 08:19:50 am
Nice stuff. I have a suggestion for the lion. At the moment his feet move all in unison, if you make it so that one foot in front and one in the back moves one frame of to the other one it will look much more lifelike and vivid.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline mobichan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Licker

Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 02:11:09 am

Ptoing - Thanks for the advice.  I think it does add something.  Any better?