AuthorTopic: New Sprite: Yog-Sothoth  (Read 7234 times)

Offline #36005A

• View Profile

Re: New Sprite: Yog-Sothoth

Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 12:05:08 pm
Great improvement, absinthelord. Feron, I think I prefer the original palette, although some changes could be made while keeping the warmth of the original. I just think the palette you chose takes it in a different direction and makes it look somehow less slimy and sticky. I think the warm colors of the original bring that out more.

Offline absinthelord

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 11:01:32 pm
Thanks for the compliments, comments and suggestions  :) .... Here is the final:

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 09:27:57 am
Hmmz, I suggest to up the contrast once again (mainly on the left side), then add soem uniform parts, like a mouth in one of the tentacles

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 12:18:19 pm
Have you been considering hue shifts like this? My edit adds a few more colours and is very crude and not pixel perfect, but maybe demonstrates what I'd like to see here. Good design in all, can't wait to see your version of Azatoth.

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 02:21:59 pm
Good to see your willing to put a good amount of effort into this

Still have a couple of issues tho, if you're willing to go that extra mile.

I'll sidestep that whole hue shift issue, since I think there are more important stuff to improve on.

Colors: You're still not taking full advantage of your pallet. On my edit i used the near-white from the teeth to make up some really bright highlights here and there, to make it look slimy. Also, you still got an extra color in the mouth (the near-black) you can use to further improve the feeling of depth with.

Shading: I like the fact that your edit looks less metallic, personally, I think you went a bit over the top though. The rough shading somewhat resembles dithering and is not suited for the piece if you're going for a slimy look. Overall you should make the shading more smooth, it looks kinda random and jagged and really reduce the overall quality of this piece.

Design: The mouth should be integrated much more in the overall design. It looks like someone pooped a mouth on him

Otherwise, a good improvement from the first draft

/vedsten