AuthorTopic: Portrait Chelsea  (Read 3456 times)

Offline legofreak

• View Profile

Portrait Chelsea

on: January 23, 2008, 01:50:23 am

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Re: Portrait Chelsea

Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 12:35:59 am
You can probably AA the stripes in the shirt/sweater with that darker purple, careful though, might looks like pillow shading unless you have a lighter purple color to help show where the light source is coming from. Which is in front of her. You might want to play with the idea of not using a pure black like that. I didn't notice the blue in the eyes unless I zoomed in. Watch out for that banding between the hair and skin... seems to be ever where skin meets hair.

Offline legofreak

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 01:42:45 am
im not sure what you mean by banding but i do know the darkest skin tone can most likely be replaced with the darkest hair tone

Offline #36005A

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 01:57:13 am
Banding: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=5556.msg66232#msg66232

On this piece I particularly like the nose and the glasses. It seems almost as if you have AA'ed these parts, and achieved a nice effect, but the rest of the piece has been left untouched and many "jaggies" can be seen (if I'm using that term correctly). I'd recommend you work on smoothing those out. I also agree on not using pure black. And one more thing: the hair seems a bit too clumped and unlike what it actually is - hundreds of tiny, long lines that are together in one place. The "single mass of hair" technique works well in some applications, but along with the realism of the rest of your piece, I think some of that realism must be applied to the hair as well.

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 03:11:23 am
me- you

Quick edit, pretty much moved the hair down and to the right a bit. Dropped a few colors and something else... I can't see what I did so it must be subtle. Ok so move the hair down because the forehead looked off from the picture and my edit doesn't really help. watch that AAing.