AuthorTopic: [WIP]Danger Dinosaur Danny et Werewolf Game Mockup  (Read 30938 times)

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]Danger Dinosaur Danny et Werewolf Game Mockup

Reply #50 on: April 25, 2008, 06:05:15 am
I think the trees are done, unless anyone has anything to say about them.
Not sure if I need more detail in the far background though :-\
Once I'm done with the water I guess this will be finished? :crazy:
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #51 on: April 25, 2008, 06:15:31 am
What? You're not going to shade the treetops proper?

Not sure if I need more detail in the far background though  :-\
yeah. The whole thing looks way flat.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #52 on: April 25, 2008, 01:32:40 pm
Your details are good but as a whole the scene clashes. These elements don't look like they exist in the same world but rather were cut-and-pasted together from different images. The trees and the grass look like they are under a blazing hot sun, but the leaves and the dark background (and dark foreground under the grass) imply a deep moody forest. I made a very sloppy edit:

I darkened the trees and tinted them a little green, and added shadows (it took like 30 seconds, but I used "dirty" tools - a semi-transparent layer)
Did the same thing for the ground, and I added some shadows to the cave-ish area to give it depth. Didn't touch the leaves since I assume they're WIP, but those are in serious need of some volume as well. However, I want to show you something else as well:

Old --> Color adjusted
This is without any added shadows, but still with the colors adjusted - notice how much a difference volume and saturation make! :o Now, I think you still need to add shadows. But I wanted to show you the importance of that final step: color adjustment.

Can't wait to see more!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 01:35:37 pm by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: April 25, 2008, 02:08:48 pm
That's what I get for trying to declare something done :-[
Thanks guys!

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: May 09, 2008, 03:23:44 am
->
I feel awesome, looking at them side by side. :hehe:
Water is still temporary and I think the speckle highlights on the leaves need to be massively adjusted/remade.
There's gonna be further layers of backgrounds, though I'm not entirely sure how I'm gonna accomplish that at the moment. Would things get darker or lighter far off? ???

Thanks for prodding and poking, guys, I have a habit of declaring things done just because I'm lazy and tired.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #55 on: May 09, 2008, 08:52:44 am
Would things get darker or lighter far off? ???

could go either way, i'd suggest darker, it will give more of an atmosphere.  A good tip is to make the background a lot more destaturated as it gets further away.

The revamped tree trunks look stunning, (i really mean that!), but the leaves look sooo cheap on top of them.  Why not try doing individual leaves, yes its takes ages, but will be worth it in the end.

for example :

Offline Pesty

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: May 09, 2008, 10:21:32 am
Hello, I just have a very small suggestion edit on your adventure girl's eyes (and a small change to her lips):

It changes her expression a bit, which might not be what you want, but I did the edit just to see how it'd look and I figured it couldn't hurt to share.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #57 on: May 09, 2008, 02:30:18 pm
There's gonna be further layers of backgrounds, though I'm not entirely sure how I'm gonna accomplish that at the moment. Would things get darker or lighter far off? ??

Believe it or not the original 1933 version of King Kong is a perfect example of how to create a readable atmospheric environment. This movie was the equivelent of modern "green screen" movies; most of the scenery was created with elaborate layers of matte paintings and then projected onto a giant screen that the actors and stop-motion puppets performed in front of. Since they built this world from the ground up, they were able to make it read very well in black and white:

The technique they use exists in real-life but they exaggerated it to make things extra-readable. The foreground is dark, nearly to the point of being a sillohuette, and the background is almost completely washed out. This technique is so incredibly effective that 70+ years later when they remade the movie, they mimicked the exact same technique:

It's actually not something these filmmakers invented; painters have been doing it for ages but I think the original 1933 King Kong is an exemplary case of this effect in motion. Hope this helps with your environment creating!
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: May 10, 2008, 11:20:48 pm

Style test. Not sure if the uhh... anti-buffer for the grass-background is working well, and I'm afraid it doesn't look as deep in the forest as it did before :-\.

I also left my USB stick elsewhere so either I redo 4 hours of work or I wait to potentially get it back in 6 days  :'(.
Edit: Impro-ved!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 11:37:03 pm by Sherman Gill »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #59 on: May 19, 2008, 10:38:47 pm
Hmm, I took a break from this to do a different project, then I took a hour or two break from that to work on this again. Fun :crazy:.
->
So, obviously, there's a clash of style between the background and foreground, but I have no idea how I'm gonna make that better. What do you guys think?