AuthorTopic: Iso Walk cycle. Need help.  (Read 4905 times)

Offline Chaos Tayoko

• Pixel Ninja!
    • View Profile
    • Tayoko's Website

Iso Walk cycle. Need help.

on: January 21, 2008, 05:32:39 am
I really wanted to plunge into Iso/tactics style stuff so I did. I wanted also to make the look of it non-chibi, anyway. I'm having loads of trouble with the walk animation/perpective issues, a helping hand would be welcome.

Who's is a cheap, reliable Artist? Me!
http://tayokoart.com

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Iso Walk cycle. Need help.

Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 04:15:41 pm
the biggest issue is that your guys are walking left, not southwest.  they are purely sideview!   try making a wireframe that clearly walks the direction you want before you outline and shade.

not the best example but it's an example :

« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 05:14:12 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Chaos Tayoko

• Pixel Ninja!
    • View Profile
    • Tayoko's Website

Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 02:38:17 am
I defentaly tried the idea of making a wireframe, never tried it.

hows that? I still see how i am not capable of making a nice smooth animation. I'll keep working on it.  Adarias, i'd like to IM with you to get some pointers, i'll add ya.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 03:41:55 am by Chaos Tayoko »
Who's is a cheap, reliable Artist? Me!
http://tayokoart.com

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 04:13:59 am
why are his hips and shoulders horizontal?
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 05:09:49 am
closest leg looks longer, if you pull the hip down on that side, and let his right foot land further northwest it should give him a more stable walk, its as if hes got a walking stick allowing him to not rely on that leg so much. At the minute it looks as if he'll topple over to his right, because that foot is landing to the center instead of one side.. I'd definately push it further NW.

The character would be at his highest when legs are together and dip lower when apart.

The reason for the choppiness is that his left foot raises high and steps too abruptly, yet his right doesnt seem to lift atall creating a quick glitch through the animation.

I've made an edit if you dont mind. Im sure Adarias will correct me but I do want to be an animator in the future so I should at least stick my finger once and a while and get stuck in.

>> >> (iso angled shoulders and hips)

edit - lol yea im still learning too mate, learn by doing. If anything I can help him with what I do know, and continue studying in my own time.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 06:02:23 am by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 05:33:58 am
it's never going to work unless you actually think in axonometric projections.  if your horizontal lines are horizontal on the picture plane, STOP!! - you'll never get it right if you get those wrong.  you both NEED to learn your X, Y, Z axes before you try to animate something as complex the human body.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 11:56:20 am
Use two lines which the feet can run along when they touch the ground.

I would suggest practicing side view walk cycles before working in axonowhajamacallit.

My shot at it:

The poses are a little extreme but it makes the walk cycle more readable. If the game is less cartoony tone the arm movement done abit but i still think strong poses (ie. would read well in silloutte) help the animation. Where's baccaman21 when u need him?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline brodrick

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 06:30:52 pm
One thing I noticed about your animation that hasn't been mentioned yet is that you have the left (and strangely only visible hand) is almost in sync with his left foot instead of his right foot.  The arm swing should be in time with the opposite leg's swing, not the same swing.  If a real person were to walk like that they'd fall over.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 08:49:43 pm
thats falling into the same problem brodrick, read what Adarias wrote. It looks as if his right leg is shorter than the left.

Sharprm thats excellent, im sure that'd really help chaos, its full of character.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..