AuthorTopic: [dead] portrait  (Read 17794 times)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: [wip] portrait

Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 05:54:46 pm
update,

hows this looking?

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 09:01:49 pm
Good evolution, nice colors. Some anatomy changes i'd do:

On the nose, you should slightly shade the bone that connects the nose to the cheeks, instead of dividing the nose from the cheeks vertically as you have (look at the diagonal lines that i applied on the nose on the edit for a hint of where that bone is.) The shading should be subtle but there. The vertical shading on the cheek should be brought a bit back into the face more.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 04:38:55 pm

getting there....   :yell:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 04:44:04 pm by Feron »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #23 on: February 01, 2008, 04:24:16 pm
In all the reference shots and paintovers, do you see any noses that have a bottom separation between the nose ridge and nosetril? Also do you see any noses where the nosetril actually doesn't show to some degree? Additionally the problem with the odd middle-of-the-nosetril-line-shadow persists. Sorry to pressure you, but you can do even better if you study reality a bit more. Also looking at the ear, don't even attempt it without studying photos a lot, heh.

What's with the underlight on the bottom of the chin?

Generally the rendering on the face is a bit blobbish, it doesn't betray volumes well, and most of the initial problems with the facial characteristics feeling tacked on and/or different planes persist. I guess my biggest suggestion at this point is to fix the immediate issues here as best you can and then hit a lot of from-reference face studies from many angles, building from primitive geometrics to more refined shapes... you're hiding lack of solid anatomical understanding with rendering right now, I think.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: February 01, 2008, 06:39:53 pm
it;s not a great reference, but i tihnk it might help you a bit with the shapes of the lower face (you can ignore the rest):

there is a lot of leeway with this area based on race and gender, but the main thing is that the lower lip is not directly followed by chin.  a few other edits have demonstrated but i feel the need to reiterate.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 06:45:03 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #25 on: February 01, 2008, 07:27:27 pm
I guess my biggest suggestion at this point is to fix the immediate issues here as best you can and then hit a lot of from-reference face studies from many angles, building from primitive geometrics to more refined shapes... you're hiding lack of solid anatomical understanding with rendering right now, I think.

I would prefer to persist with this one.  I'd only be making the same mistakes on other pieces that I might aswell fix on this one.

Basically ive just gone back to the basics... again  :-[ , theres no point carrying on until the main foundations are correct.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #26 on: February 01, 2008, 08:44:41 pm
Fair enough. The newest wip is a big improvement in my opinion, although the facial characteristics are all shuffled a bit on the face. Lose the hair, make a round shape and go through all the proper steps for making a human face, you'll see where you're improvising whereas you shouldn't. The nose shape is much better, but the shading.. I don't know. Why would it be so dark by the side of the nose? Do you see any photo reference with that shadow there being so deep? The eyebrow is completely misplaced :O

Also I want you to take a look at a very important line that any photo or edit in this thread has shown you:

Now, this is variable, but don't you think your version is lacking some jaw? Adarias's does as well but I'm sure his is intentionally like that.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #27 on: February 03, 2008, 12:30:14 pm

:y: or :n:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #28 on: February 03, 2008, 01:01:04 pm
This shows that you lack some knowledge about facial construction and you should amend this through series of practises. Right now you have a circle and all the facial characteristics you've placed on it are on a bit semi-random positions. I wish I could find you a good face-profile tutorial online but when I google I only find how to draw anime crap. This is a difficult step, learning the gentle relations between facial characteristics on a face and I wish someone had told me years ago what I realised for myself only somewhat recently: that you can't improvise it, you'll end up with mishappen heads, you have to work from construction. I used to make small-heads-to-large-features for years without anyone pointing it out to me.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #29 on: February 03, 2008, 02:10:07 pm
well a face structure does vary a bit from person to person. and even though theres a template I think theres allways room for some disproportions.
I think the issue here is that you should learn how to draw a face before you try to pixel it, cause at such small sizes a row of pixels more makes all the difference.
my advice would be to go back to pencil and paper and try out following some templates.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!