AuthorTopic: [dead] portrait  (Read 17799 times)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

[dead] portrait

on: January 20, 2008, 08:43:20 pm
thought i'd post a pic in its very earliest stages and get some critique on the very basics (anatomy/depth/composition/colors?) before i do anything else and then have to redo things over.

palette inspired heavily by adarias.

all feedback appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 07:04:24 pm by Feron »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: [very very wip] portrait

Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 11:13:21 pm
Hello! I like to see you brancing out and trying ambitious things, this has a lot of promise.

*Women have lower hairlines than men, generally.

*Eye was too high, and I rotated it some for the sideview, you wouldn't be able to see so much of it from that point of view, right?

*Nose was strangely defined in my opinion, especially nosetril, and the shape of the ridge was a big vague, sitting uncomfortable somewhere between animeland and realopolis.

*Lips also could use forms that read better even if you don't want a smile.

*But if you don't want a smile, go for some other clear (I don't mean simple, just not confused or half-done) expression, as right now your gal has none

*I won't say much for the palette right now, I don't think Adarias pulled that sort of contrast and hue gaps off when he tried them and I don't think you will either right now, but it all depends on how you go about it, I'm ready to stand corrected.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 10:04:00 pm
Hello! I like to see you brancing out and trying ambitious things, this has a lot of promise.

yes i like to see me branching out as well.  I thought i'd try some thing a bit more traditional than the stuff ive been doing lately.

thanks for the edit, im still trying to get the basic foundations done... i dont know if this or better or worse - i think the old one had more of a character about her but this one just looks better.

i think i shall google to try and get some references, although imagination > references , theres only so much i can do mentally.

hmm...

EDIT ::

im much happier with this:

EDIT 2 ::

Quote from: Helm
the eye, nose and mouth aren't on the same perspective plane

better? :

« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 10:53:41 pm by Feron »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 11:15:28 pm
Actually no, the problem persists. Right now you have sorta mr potato head facial features. They look tacked on, they're not part of the musculature. You need to work on the fundamentals of how faces work. The nose for example, is a pretty intense collection of geometric shapes that gives trouble to a lot of people. Here comes the photoshop nondestructive editing (tm)

take note that there's as many lips and noses as there are women, so you should do so many studies that your hands fall off.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 05:32:31 pm
improving??

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 05:51:27 pm
It's still confusing. The eye and ear are in a different perspective from the rest of the face and it throws off the whole piece. Draw in some construction instead of guessing things, it'll help a lot. Based on the chin, nose and forehead the face seems to be tilted down a little bit, so i did something similar to what helm did just to get some practice for myself as well....and i can't draw noses........ so don't look at the nose here!

--edit: tried finding some planes on the face to give tips on the shading.

The major things being the ear position, eye shape and lips. It's already tons better than the initial drawing, so way to go, and keep going  :y:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 06:03:03 pm by huZba »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 07:00:35 pm
thanks...

hows this?

i think i am ready to start refining it.

EDIT

im very fickle about things...

« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 07:05:34 pm by Feron »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 07:10:33 pm
The eye socket still isn't believable. Time to break out the photo reference. Look here

Do you see the fleshy folds that make up the eyelids? Even when the lighting isn't so dramatic and closer to yours

Do you see how the shape of the eyelids implies them being there?

Study the second one especially because it's close to what you're doing. The nose especially it's a little study in itself to figure out why the lights are as they are there.

And yeah, try not to be very fickle about making art. Choose something, commit to it and carry it to where it needs to go. You're putting some progress in on this, but it'll take determination and resolve to level up.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 07:13:12 pm
i meant fickle as in... i keep changing my mind and redo-ing things.

and yeah i can see that the eye and nose are a bit vucked now.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 07:14:21 pm
That's what I mean, you shouldn't be changing your mind as much as you do if what you need to do has sank in and you understand the theory behind it. Then it's just a matter of endless application until it works.