AuthorTopic: RPG character [WIP]  (Read 20673 times)

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: RPG character [WIP]

Reply #40 on: February 20, 2008, 01:06:59 am
Hey, just to let u know even though I'm interested in how to do portraits properly, I actually don't know how to do it - so some of what I say might be wrong or misleading. About the symettry, actually you don't want it. Even with all the crap I added to the girl it looks boring. The deal is you make the body and the head at slightly different angles. Looking at the blue sketch (which I realise now is your reference) this is what he does. So just copy the blue sketch more to improve your pixel art. Try different variations until you get that 'look'. Small eyes and angry looking eyebrows seems important. 

Sorry to send you on the 'child soldiers' treasure hunt when u already had a ref, but at least you now(?) know of the fun alternative to living in a western country and doing homework.

Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline inarma

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: February 20, 2008, 11:06:27 pm
 Lol, thanks sharprm, I kinda like you you folded the edges of the characters neck, and made it look like there was a sorta neck bone type thing, I like urs eyes and stuff too, thanks I kinda based my sprite off of three things actually....one was my first sketch, two was the blue guy, and 3 was cloud...

EDIT: Ok, I am really starting to like how he looks....here he is:

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 11:34:40 pm by inarma »

Offline inarma

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: February 27, 2008, 04:02:46 am
 Jeez, my topic was abandoned no replies in like a week :( Well I'm still working on the character I'll post soon

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: February 27, 2008, 05:09:26 am
i'm going to push the same ideas i have been again - i think the piece is static and overly frontal.  please at least consider a more expressive look and a different angle than the perfect mugshot.  Also, try to rely less on lines and more on shading, because lines will always leave a flat finish.  You can keep the cell-shaded look even when introducing two or three clean values per region.

this is not necessarily expressive as it's going for that japanemo look, but i think it's a clear indication.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline lilwing

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: February 27, 2008, 07:03:39 am
Haha, Japanimation. Adarias, the one on the right really looks like a guy I know.

Adarias covered the exact point I was going to share; a frontal portrait is usually boring, unless you are very good at them. the 3/4 view would look a lot nicer.