AuthorTopic: RPG character [WIP]  (Read 20551 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: RPG character [WIP]

Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 11:55:04 pm
I don't know how to answer your question because your question rests on strange hypotheses. What is 'stringy' hair? Why not start with doing lots of different hair studies from photos and real people and you'll see there's no specific technique we can teach you here. If you want stylised cookie-cutter anime hair read a 'how to draw anime' book.

Offline inarma

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 02:21:00 am
Umm, when I mean "stringy hair" I mean like this sprite here: . And uh I just edited my sprite, and it looks a ton different than before. And I kinda drew some lines to sorta show where each "section" of hair is., and uh I just kinda wanna know to to make that effect.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 04:41:12 am by inarma »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 02:43:23 am
That's not a sprite, it's a 3D render ???
Also, I think you're going about this the wrong way. Your 'dither' lines in the hair just make it look messy and not at all like hair.
Of course, the best way to make hair is study real hair, identify what makes it look like hair, and draw that. But since it seems you are none too interested in doing things the slow way, I'll tell ya' something else.
I dug up some stuff from FFT, it's pretty good examples of how you can make hair look good and stringy with pixel art.
(sorry for the huge images, too lazy to separate. from the sprite sheets.)

Miss calculator uses simple segmentation. The slight wavyness and soft transitions from segment to segment work to make it look more like hair.
Now, the Squire there, well, he's got a slightly more interesting methodology :).
Square Soft put highlights around the dark parts where the hair splits into different groups. What this does, far as I can tell, is make it look more "stringy" without actually trying to draw individual hairs.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 02:45:20 am by Sherman Gill »
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 02:58:57 am
Square Soft put highlights around the dark parts where the hair splits into different groups. What this does, far as I can tell, is make it look more "stringy" without actually trying to draw individual hairs.

I always thought it was to make up for the natural non-clarity of the television - by increasing local contrast they make the line sharper and more visible even when blown up, blurred out and seen from across a room.  your guess though is actually as good as mine.

try to think about adding some character to this before you think about things like how to do the hair.  Once you know his attitude, it will be ovious what to do with the hair.  here are two quick sketches:
to yours :

see how the choices make a difference? long nose versus shorter, looking up or down, slick hair or messy, hard face or soft, dark eyes or light, etc.  your guy is sorta lacking personality right now.  He just looks like a shy little boy, which i know is the character that some people go for, but it turns out that characters which are not engaging are, well, non engaging :P.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 05:51:14 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline inarma

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 04:03:12 am
 Ok, I see what you are saying Adarias and Sherman, very helpful posts I'm gonna get to work right away!! I'll edit when I'm done with my sprite.

Ok, I'm done its not very good but I think it has better shading an a tad more character:

« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 04:18:13 am by inarma »

Offline I Am Uh

• I feel... Saturated to some degree, out of tone.
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 11:15:21 am
the hair is much better but still needs some work. Maybe try and add a neck and broaden the shoulders a bit. look at the photo of cloud, do his shoulders go straight down on a 45 degree angle like yours do. Try and broaden them up a bit.
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. What they oughta' say is...
Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) "Lord of War"
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 12:58:33 pm
I thing that what you are doing wrong is not showing any forhead. also the mouth is really close to the chin, wich makes it look like he is tiliting his head down. then the nose is one a side view, wich kind of contradicts that, and then the no forehead thing make the head tilt back down. it its really complicated to look at!
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline inarma

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 03:27:51 pm
Umm, thanks 'I am uh' I think your right the hair does need some work :), and Kazuya Mochu, I see what you are saying about the nose but other stuff I'm just confused about.

Offline inarma

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 11:03:55 pm
 Ok, I have finally found out what I want to base my character off of, its this sprite here: I really like the way the hair, body, and pretty everything about it, I was hoping I could get some tips on how I can make this character into a 64x64 sprite... Soooo I'm gonna start to get to work on making it. Hopefully I can get some help quicker now and I hope people see what I mean by the hairstyle I want...

Thanks,
 Inarma

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 06:43:35 am
This isn't a sprite, it's someone's drawing. And if you didn't draw it, why base your pixel head on it? You'll learn much more if you devote your time on learning to draw like that.