AuthorTopic: A Sword  (Read 2911 times)

Offline Marshmellow

• View Profile

A Sword

on: January 13, 2008, 08:03:28 pm
Well I'm not generally especially good at large scale pixel art, so I'm doing a little series of fantasy-type weapons to fix that. The first of these is a sword.

It's already been through several versions and it's obviously going to go through several more. The hilt, especially, needs a lot of work. Expect updates and feel free to tear into it.

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Re: A Sword

Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 02:58:39 pm
hmmm...

Well first off, to me it mainly looks like just line-art filled in with color. I noticed some attempt at anti-aliasing and creating a volume for your weapon, but much can be improved. Some lines just look too dark and heavy and can be replaced with medium tones in the sword. Infact, you could probably do without some of the lines and just seperate section with tones.

And on tones... the tones between the blade and hilt are fairly close, and you can stick with one branch of tones for the whole sword and get rid of the other tone branch ...unless you specificly want the blade to look gold and the hilt to look bronz.

And finally... one thing that really peeves me about the sword is its angle. It's almost at a 45% angle, but not quite, so there's a little distortion in the lines which you could do without if you made the sword 45%. That or do some damn fine AA to really smooth out the lines. ...Which brings me to a question... do you plan to be able to drop this sword on any background, or is it going to be apart of one particular background? Because if it's the latter, than you could do some AA on the outsides of the sword too.

Oh, and I noticed some placement of light pixels against some lines that look odd and out of place. You should get rid of them.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 03:02:47 pm by Ryona »

Offline Marshmellow

• View Profile

Re: A Sword

Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 01:04:38 am

This may actually be a small step backwards, but I think it looks a bit better. I'm new to this large (well... medium-size) scale spriting, so my anti-aliasing is a bit off. I'll get the hang of it eventually...

Got rid of the gray so now it's got no lines shoving themselves in your face so now it looks just a little bit less like a filled in linework (which is what it is, really...), more complex shading, etc etc you get the picture. You may now begin.

Oh, and I'm gonna keep it at the almost-45-but-not-quite, because 45 degrees is boring and I could use the practice.