AuthorTopic: [WIP]self portrait style imitation  (Read 7942 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]self portrait style imitation

Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 04:00:25 am
buddy buddy buddy - horizontal flips of the eyes and eyebrows, vertical flip of the mouth, same old nose, same old chin....and then some (small!) pixel edits.

i just don't get what you are trying to accomplish.  working from scratch means from scratch.  what's more, you aren't getting the style, which usues strong "perfect" angles and the aforementioned extruded hair.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 04:02:41 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline DJ gman

• what a secksy beast
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 04:18:40 am
Wait... are you talking about my older one or this new one?  Because on the one I'm working on now I haven't flipped anything and all of it is completely from scratch. :huh:
I know that this style uses the perfect angles thing and I'm still working on it.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 04:43:05 am
You didn't really change the pose at all!  What I was talking about was something more like this:

(sorry for Jessica Simpson)

This is the kind of pose where you are unable to copy stuff from the original portrait.  Trying this or another difficult pose would be best, I think, because it would get you to think on your feet about what makes Indigo's style a real style.  I know you say you did stuff from scratch, but you were obviously looking pretty hard at the original while doing it. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 04:45:44 am by Faktablad »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 04:44:35 am
then it's a far-too-close-for-comfort eyeball-copy which teaches you just as little.  the mouth is more different than I thought at first, but the rest (nose and chin mostly, eyes and brow too) stand.

I don't go looking for things like this either, it's just that you've provided us with the same raw materials you've used to recreate them and it's clear that the good qualities in this piece are 99% indigo's work.  The frustrating part is that you yourself are capable of good work without doing such a close replication.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline DJ gman

• what a secksy beast
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 04:58:21 am

wip 3

and yeah I understand where you all are coming from it's not like I'm out to try to get the same recognition that indigo does(lol I'm quite a bit far from that) I just liked his style for this particular peice and was just doing it for a bit of fun as something different than what I'm used to pixeling.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 05:02:31 am by DJ gman »

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 05:46:27 am
Your AA on 45 degree angles isn't to good, STUDY the style you're trying to imitate.
Some things you might want to take note of are:
  • Extruded hair!
  • Strong angles, most of the lines are straight or meet at a 45 degree angle.
  • The slightly disproportionated head.
  • The way he handled shadows and highlights.

I agree with Faktablad that you should try a different pose, if not a different pose then at least a different expression. We can smell what The Indigo is cooking.... we have no idea what you're cooking.

Offline DJ gman

• what a secksy beast
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 12:36:22 pm
How would you approach the extruded hair look yourself then? Because I literally have no clue with my hair style. :-\

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 12:37:07 pm
and yeah I understand where you all are coming from it's not like I'm out to try to get the same recognition that indigo does(lol I'm quite a bit far from that) I just liked his style for this particular peice and was just doing it for a bit of fun as something different than what I'm used to pixeling.

the problem is that your not imitating the style but the piece itself. you only changed the hair, eyecolor and mirrored the expression. why don't you go ahaid and change the pose like some here told you? the pose is not part of the style, and by doing so you would protect yourself from the heavy referencing you did until now, which won't really help you gaining new skills..

Offline ter-o

• Elitist scum
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 01:01:01 pm
C'mon, give this guy a break! >:(

I don't mean we should start asspatting everyone and everything, but all this ranting is definately not encouraging. I think the internet behaviour has taught people that they can act like shit towards anyone who dares to post something. Let's try to be positive in our criticism or at least constructive.

Now my 2 cents:
The first try definately was pretty too close to the original, but the new expression, even when it is sort of mirrored from the original, is cool. This is supposed to be fun and learning experience and I think it succeeds in that. I agree that DJ gman should pay a bit more attention to actual techniques involved in the original if he really wants to learn from the style but the pose and expression is fine.

Now just have fun with it and finish it! :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 01:02:50 pm by ter-o »
I don't know everything, I just know everything else.
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 04:00:01 pm
I'm a bit more with ter-o about keeping this constructive. :)

with that said, I do think you should apply the 1 critique they gave you that'd resolve everything.  Draw a different angle, expression, try even different proportions.  You see, if you make it too close to the original, all of the solutions are already mapped out for you and it would be WAY too tempting to just take those solutions... its actually extremely hard NOT to.

take for instance my Kenneth Fejer study..
http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/13537.htm

that particular screenshot wasn't trying to imitate one of his own conceptually - but it was taking into account all of his style and applying it to a new concept.  Things such as his abundant use of the 1px colored outline, subtle use of AA, and his pastel color choices.

willfaulds thread is also a great example of how to take a style without replicating the original.

but again, the easiest way to do this is to apply the style to something completely different than the original.  Whether that means a different angle, different expression, different lighting, or maybe even a different subject - it all helps.

-Dan