AuthorTopic: [Finished] Weekly Challenge: 2D Gears of War  (Read 8221 times)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

[Finished] Weekly Challenge: 2D Gears of War

on: January 08, 2008, 08:16:14 pm
a wip of my weekly challenge entry, a Halo platform game...

22 colors so far,

any feedback? 

EDIT:// Finished:

« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 08:36:48 pm by Feron »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: [wip] Weekly Challenge: 2D Halo

Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 09:03:40 pm
Might be a good idea to give the character the same effect as the background with the colour to grey transition. Further you might wish to put some more effort in the foreground (edit to more detail and add foreground objects that are in front of the character when he walks by).

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 11:39:46 pm
I think the character certainly needs to break away from the background a little more.

I'd also be a bit more adventurous with the colours used in the dither pattern at the back.

Looking good though. The rocks rocks :) ha

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 04:39:22 am
I'm also in unison with Willfauld, in that the character doesn't differentiate from the background to well, other than different hue range. I know it's night time, but it is a game, so I'd try popping the character's contrast, and showing a bit more of where the black intersects in through the green armor. Also, in the game, it seems like the suit Master Chief wears is made something similar to metal, so giver 'er some shine, eh.

The background also doesn't seem to Halo-ish to me. Halo games like to use beautiful skies in their backgrounds, where this is a dim purple. Also, the rubble in the background has some red glow on them, but I'm not sure from where. Kinda' remind me of those snes contra games, rather than post future world setting, that Halo is set in. Well, they're both kinda' futuristic, but Contra is more steampunk, or mad max type setting, and Halo's environment revolves around cleaner buildings, with more cleaner type alien culture( if that makes sense...). Damn it, I can't explain it, it just doesn't fit with the Halo type environment, is the easiest I can put it. It's not bad, a little more work will do the trick, just a little ways to get there....
my back hurts...

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 04:44:39 am
Yeah, Bob said it, I definitely didn't get the Halo vibe from the background at all.  Try drawing more on the game for cool design and lighting elements and such, it'll really help you with a convincing transition from 3D to 2D.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: [wip] Weekly Challenge: [s]2D Halo[/s]... 2D Gears Of War

Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 02:20:18 pm
Ok I agree with all of you that it wasnt giving a Halo vibe.  However, this is due in 2 days and ive got a lot going on at the moment so i decided to convert this to Gears Of War 2D mockup instead.  Call me lazy, but exams are more important than pixels unfortunately.

i think the new sprite is much more in the foreground...

just need an enemy sprite and to finish the BG

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: [wip] Weekly Challenge: 2D Halo... now Gears of War!

Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 06:04:46 pm
The new sprite looks anatomically far less correct, the left (our left) foot seems twisted in the wrong direction (just like the knee now I look at it). I think editing your master chief would've been better in that aspect, but as you said that would've left the background less correct. I sitll vote for some foregrounds objects.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 07:56:03 pm
Give the character a far more grounded and heroic pose if you're going for pinup, or a crouch-and-run pose if you want dynamics. Consider what game you're making this for. This dude is no Gear of War marine, he's a skater lost in a space marine powersuit!

The dude needs gears of war chest stereo!

It's a challenge but you can totally portray the >X< NNNNGGGH Gears of War facial expressions of squinting badassery in such a space. Right now the face doesn't do much.

No healthbars in a Gears of War game! Dynamic health replentishing to keep the pace going, and certainly no hearts. There's no heart in Gears of War.

The backlight is good on the bg, if not a bit overdone. The foreground needs a more interesting hue, perhaps a bit of a green tint would work. Put scenery that the dude will hide behind for cover, this is Gears of War.

Generally not a good idea to just switch from Halo to GOW in the middle of it, it seems you're not keeping aesthetic considerations in mind while working. Now it'll need more work before it looks like what you want it to be. Endure and carry through with it. Pose fix. Face fix. Tints fix. Scenery for cover. Locust enemy. Different status bar perhaps.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 07:59:30 pm by Helm »

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 09:08:02 pm
Maybe this is a good time and place as any to say something that's been on my mind for quite a while now.

Now, pixelation is all about helping each other etc, but I was surprised to find that some of the PJ challenge winning entries have been 'fixed' by a number of people on this here forum. This is of course very good for the picture itself but I'm not sure how it relates to the challenges as a form of sport and positive competition. What's more, there are WIP threads on PJ exclusively for challenges. The only difference is that on PJ ppl don't take and modify your palette or image directly! I've seen such modifications get taken for granted and left in the final challenge entry, and I personally think that sucks ass. It may be ok for noobs to build their confidence in this manner but is pretty much fucking up the point of challenges when someone who already knows their shit comes here to have his entry 'pimped'. In the end ppl don't even give credit to those who have helped them.
My suggestion is to limit PJ challenge threads here to just verbal comments and suggestions, or NPA interventions and examples that can't be used as part of the entry.

This never happened in a challenge that I entered or anything, so I'm not saying this out of envy.
Sorry if this is the wrong place and sorry if it's already been discussed.

A dime for your thoughts.
i

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 09:42:20 pm
Not on this thread please. I made a thread in the general forum for this discussion. Any posts about that, go here:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=5793.msg68469#new

Do not derail this thread.