AuthorTopic: HandChicken Avatar.  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile

HandChicken Avatar.

on: January 07, 2008, 02:14:37 am
I started today and would like some crits before I start the tail.  So let me know what you think.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Re: HandChicken Avatar.

Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 02:31:50 am
First off, i think the outline on the hand is a bit severe. You might want to add more shading on the hand around the palm and thumb particularly, and make the outline a lighter color.

But the way you did the chicken itself is great. i like the color choice, and the shapes are fine except for the size of the hand. A bit too big, but maybe thats what you were looking for.

I only really shaded the hand, and didn't mess with the size, since you might have been looking for a large hand.
I hope this helps, as i'm not that good myself.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 02:42:17 am by coran »

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 03:11:39 am
First off, i think the outline on the hand is a bit severe. You might want to add more shading on the hand around the palm and thumb particularly, and make the outline a lighter color.

I think it looked better pre-edit. Light was coming from the left / upper left. I do agree the outline could benefit from a lighter color. Black is a bit harsh. Works in some places but not on that left side of the hand.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 12:50:49 pm
I think the problem here is the join between the hand and the chicken-neck... it looks very awkward and because of the size of the hand i guess it's quite unbalanced anyway. You could have the chicken with it's neck pointing downwards (well, to the side) then you could have the wrist and hand coming out of it in a horizontal direction :y:, although there's still the problem of the chickens neck being so much smaller than the wrist should be and the hand would still need to be weightless. Or, you could put the hand at an angle, which would take away the awkwardness of it atm and perhaps fix the balance problem. When i put my thumb up i don't bother straightening it so my thumb is 90 degrees from the ground, i just hold it at the angle that's comfortable. So yeah, i'd rotate it a bit anti-clockwise, and you may want to make it smaller so the wrist and neck widths match.

Good luck, it's a weird yet wonderful idea.

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 11:40:49 pm
Yea, when I got to the tail I realized how unbalanced it would be in practical means.  So now it has a weighted, more appropriate tail, and the outline was lightened. 

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 03:44:52 pm
Ha ha... much better. nice job, though the hand could still be smaller.