AuthorTopic: The Official Pixelopolis Off-Topic Thread  (Read 58483 times)

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Re: The Official Pixelopolis Off-Topic Thread

Reply #60 on: December 09, 2005, 01:44:02 am
I can make drum beats. That's all. I should try messing around with composing more. I should just play music more. My bass hasn't been touched in months. Partially due to breaking my left wrist, mostly due to laziness.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #61 on: December 09, 2005, 02:09:10 am
The project of mine is a puzzle game, I'd be looking for some nice title screen music as well as a handful of other tracks for the different stages in the game (maybe 5 total), and another track for completeing a level or for any waiting room parts(in between playing).

As for a specific genre of music, im not familiar with the different types, I'd have to hear it, it needs to just sound good :P
I can probably try and find example of other music that I like if it would help..
Intro/Title music: Kinda "uplifting", "up beat", "here we go!"
Stage Tracks: not too slow, not too fast(needs to be fitting of a puzzle game).
Waiting music: Kinda calm, like all is well.

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #62 on: December 09, 2005, 02:11:05 am
Do you need it to be default MIDI music? Or could it be any music in the MIDI format? Because I can make music in the midi format, but it's not just the default midi instruments (I don't think.)

I'll check on that, but I'd be interested.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #63 on: December 09, 2005, 02:18:48 am
mm.. i dunno about that. I didnt know you could have different instruments from the default, I'd assume default would be safer..

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #64 on: December 09, 2005, 02:21:44 am
mm.. i dunno about that. I didnt know you could have different instruments from the default, I'd assume default would be safer..

I have FLStudio4, so I'm not sure how that whole midi thing works out. Maybe you make the song with default samples, and then it is somehow converted into a .midi file. I'll test it now and post soon...

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #65 on: December 09, 2005, 02:24:04 am
i have fl4 too.. but i suck..
to make midis, you goto > Channels > Add One > midi out, to add an instrument.

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #66 on: December 09, 2005, 02:39:49 am
I mean, I'm no composer, but I can make some music. It all depends on how complicated you want it.

I do know that robalan is talented, so if he can do it, choose him over me. But if something were to fall through with robalan, I could do it.

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #67 on: December 09, 2005, 05:09:36 am
Heh, thanks for the vote of confidence, Evan.  I've used FL, but I have found that it's better for things with loop-based sampled music rather than MIDI.  The piano roll on that is no fun to use, at least in my limited experience.  I much prefer Cakewalk or Sibelius for writing music.  Sibelius is my tool of choice at the moment, mostly because it makes stuff look pretty.  However, since this will not need sheet music to be printed and thus has no need to be pretty looking, I might use Cakewalk, since I enjoy the scrub tool :-P

I'll try to get something put together over break; I'll probably make one track to verify that it sounds like what you want, and if it's satisfactory go from there.  So yeah.  Time to go listen to puzzle game music to get an idea of style.  The only puzzle game music I can remember off the top of my head is Tetris XD  Depending on how many breaks I take during studying, I might get a track done in the next week or so, but I'll definitely have time after finals.

[EDIT]Oh, and a question.  I would like to know a bit about what style of puzzle game it is.  For example, does the music want to be spooky, carribbean, classical music, oriental sounding, what?  That's what I meant by style in the earlier post.[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 05:16:49 am by robalan »
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #68 on: December 09, 2005, 05:36:53 am
Real men use Midi Maker.

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #69 on: December 09, 2005, 05:51:37 am
Hmmm...  Can't say I'm familiar with the program.  A quick google search reveals that it looks like the MS Paint of the MIDI making software world, but having not used it, I can't make a real statement for it one way or the other.

[EDIT]And here's a quick sample of my music; this is something I put together in the past hour or so.  Perhaps it could be menu music?  Or it could be for a level.  Or it could be nothing at all like what you had in mind, which is why I'm posting something before putting too much work into it :-P  Anyway, the file.
http://www.rpi.edu/~pender/Files/Title%20Screen.mid
Take a listen, let me know what you think, and I'll get to work.[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 06:24:15 am by robalan »
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.