AuthorTopic: Style Imitation Portraits 7.3/15  (Read 34449 times)

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Re: Style Imitation Portraits 4/15

Reply #30 on: January 14, 2008, 04:32:57 pm
Sherman Gill I've tried to address your crit over the 3rd portrait and generally improve his likeness.

flaber thanks and yes I'm learning a massive amount about techniques and how i work. This might sound weird but its made me crit my own workings more than anything because trying to get to an unusual end goal means you have to take a different path.

I totally agree the 3rd one is the 'best'. It's actually the first i attempted. The other 2 just don't have the same character at all.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 04:43:25 pm by willfaulds »

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: January 14, 2008, 08:51:31 pm
bump*

there's today's half done. concentrating hard on this one. but volume critiques please.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #32 on: January 14, 2008, 10:45:06 pm
Bigger nose, deeper eyes... they will add more volume and enhance the likeness to the reference.  It's generally more of a caricature, so i think you need to over-empahsise features. 

i like this thread btw, good work!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #33 on: January 14, 2008, 11:05:54 pm
I don't think you need to change the sizes. It shows your volumes are getting much much more evolved. Keep rendering and leave dithering and such for the end - if at all.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: January 15, 2008, 07:58:27 am
Though all of these so far have been close quality wise to the original, this one actually goes well beyond the quality of the original (Of course, this is just an opinion).
Looks like you're learning lots! Keep it up!

Critique time now!
The space between the eye and the eyebrow on our right looks too bright. Think you should either darken it or add ambient light to similarly angled parts.
Also, our right jawbone, the part where it connects to the face, I think you made it look too indented right below there, but I'm not sure if it's actually a problem...
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: January 15, 2008, 01:38:02 pm
Thanks for the last 3 comments.

I think I actually concentrated too much on volumes and Feron's comment rightly calls me up about matching the style...

The confusion's totally my fault because I didn't make that clear in my post with the WIP (the portrait I should be imitating is at the bottom of the 1st post)

Sherman thanks for the volume help I see what you mean and will adjust.

I can't decide whether to start over and keep this one as something else or doctor it to suit the style....
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 04:09:37 pm by willfaulds »

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: January 15, 2008, 07:47:09 pm
i'm lazy  :P

attempted a fish eye looking edit. any crits before i go in, colour the hair and aa?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 08:59:51 pm by willfaulds »

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: January 16, 2008, 03:03:18 am
hmm in the first draft with short hair, the heads shape seemed accurate, now the heads shape looks a little.. lumpy and irregular, but all in all, a nice interpretation of the style.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #38 on: January 16, 2008, 01:28:01 pm
Great work, especially on the Monsoon2D one!
I was kinda disappointed to see that I didn't get an equally successful treatment :P
Anyhoo, the style I was going for was Kenneth Fejer-esque newschool, and it was my first pixel after a decade, so it's maybe silly to call it my own style or to try to replicate some bad decisions I made, but what the hell.
It is my impression that you sacrificed the style for the likeness. You should keep the shapes more blocky and clean-cut. Take a look at Kenneth's work, every area of color is well defined.

Here is a quick edit. It now probably looks nothing like you, tho:

Hope this helps.
i

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: January 17, 2008, 05:09:56 pm
ilkke,

not to worry i've got at least one other portrait from your gallery on the list so i'll try harder next time  :P

i've had another bash at him after seeing your edit. the thing that's most interesting to me is seeing the way you've used the black. i'd set a limit after looking at your style that the black was only to be used as an outline colour...

i think this is an improvement but i might need to work on the hair - by far the hardest thing to convert to this style  :yell:

=>

ps thanks for the edit. much appreciated.