AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 281211 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #740 on: June 18, 2008, 05:17:07 pm
PANDA: I dont know how it is where you live, pero aca en colombia le decimos EL BOMBILLO! that's male for ya :crazy: >:( :huh:

Infinity...that's awesome! do you need a top of the line PC to run the spore char creator?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 05:23:25 pm by Conceit »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #741 on: June 18, 2008, 05:19:26 pm
theres a free trial of the creator at spore.com so you can test it on your machine.. im sure the game is pretty scalable.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #742 on: June 18, 2008, 05:25:49 pm
PANDA: I dont know how it is where you live, pero aca en colombia le decimos EL BOMBILLO! that's male for ya :crazy: >:( :huh:

In Spain it is La bombilla! :P

[EDIT]:
In case you are wondering

Bombilla = Light Bulb
Bombillo = Device/tube to pump out liquids

So you guys picked the wrong one  :lala:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 05:37:08 pm by Panda »

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #743 on: June 18, 2008, 09:24:02 pm
bring on the home made monster madness!

I just got the creature creator yesterday and I've been fooling around with it for a bit. Here's what I got so far:

In Spanish, things usually get a "gender" according to the vowel the word ends with, without any further reason.

On the topic of assigning genders to objects, does anybody know if there's a pattern to the way it's done in German? I've tried to learn it a few times (most of my family is of German decent) and it always bothered me how every item is either masculine, feminine, or neutral, when clearly (to me) all items should just be neutral. Can anybody explain this one? Also (as I understand it), all plural forms are feminine.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #744 on: June 18, 2008, 09:53:57 pm
In a lot of languages everything has a base gender, and then the ablative case, accusative case, dative case, et cetera all have their own rules.

It's just a matter of memorizing the rules and then memorizing the noun's gender.

I'll use Latin as an example because it's what I know. Girl is Puella, and the plural is always -ae for female nouns in the nominative case. However the neuter ending -um is used for a lot of masculine -us words, so there may be more to it in German than just using feminine endings for plurality. It may seem like plural is always feminine, when it might be a single case you're hearing.

I don't think there's a strict rule they used to assign genders, I think it was more common sense or personal preference. Things like houses are usually feminine while rivers may be masculine.

I don't think I answered your question.  ;D

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #745 on: June 19, 2008, 04:23:01 am
I'm can't see photobucket images on any site. Everyone else can, though, it seems. I tried going to the photobucket page but everything seems to be screwy and then I get redirected to one of those default "register this domain" sites. I'm confused.

Also,

I dunno if I mentioned it but I, too, have graduated from high school. Hooray!

edit:
Ack! I can't even see my own avatar!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 04:26:42 am by Xion »

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #746 on: June 19, 2008, 06:34:26 am
goddamn. I just stayed up until 2:30 AM,...studying for my calc final? I must be out of my mind, i've never studied before.

finally becoming a senior next year though . . .  8)

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #747 on: June 19, 2008, 09:31:44 am
Xion you might want to check for a virus. There are some new one's popping up that alter your browser's dns settings or something. basically it redirects you to the wrong page.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #748 on: June 19, 2008, 09:48:36 am
Also I think photobucket got hacked the other day and all the pictures and albums were down for a while.
For security reasons they are asking you to change your password and all.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #749 on: June 19, 2008, 06:51:30 pm
Something of little consequence...

Got an RCA s2001 yesterday. It's actually pretty quality. Plays MP3 and WMA, with 1GB flash memory. Sweat/waterproof, perfect for jogging.

Only displays one color, white, but that's the beauty of it, as the text is clear in any lighting. Got a stopwatch & BMI calculator on it, can listen to and record FM radio.

It came with music, and I thought it would be the same kind of shit that's always on these things, but I really liked at least 8/10ths of the music already on it. Found me some new bands. :3