AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 281239 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #680 on: June 11, 2008, 11:47:12 pm
ok, so maybe the pain isn't funny, but the way it came about.  also, i didn't notice 'till the second watch that they both hit those posts, which I don't think are "breakaway"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISsLEU4Cld0&feature=related - most intense one i found.

also, compeltely off-topic, desperation cooking saved the day last week!  i was going to take a girl out to dinner but she just wanted to come over and spend some time together, i agreed (doh) and shed be over in half an hour.  this has happened before, but this is the first time the food was any good, and it was literally everything i had in my fridge (all raw) :

2 eggs, 1 potato, 1/4th lb sirloin, 3 big carrots, a third of an onion, salt, olive oil, grapes.

in a saucepan, put the eggs and the potato in underwater and set to boil.
chop the meat into small chunks and with the carrots and onions also chopped put in a small saucepan with a little olive oil, just enough to not burn.  sprinkle a bit of salt over all of it and cover on medium heat.  reduce heat slightly when meat is fully brown.
by now the water should boil, let it go for a full minute, then turn heat off and cover 12 minutes.
remove eggs from water and place in ice water.  chop potato into small slices, then half and half again.  add to meat+carrots.  cook a few minutes on high heat to make sure the potatos are cooked.
chop eggs, salt lightly, and add to pot.  put heat to low and cover.  put grapes on side of plate, light candles, pour drinks, set table...plate food, answer door.
it's not the best thing i've ever cooked but i thought i'd share because it was quick, good, and even though it fed two people it cost as much as one person ordering a macdonalds value meal.

PS - this running joke between our friends (originally to cheer up a roommate) might be going a little too far....

vague reference to Christopher Walken on SNL
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 01:33:16 am by ndchristie »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #681 on: June 12, 2008, 02:48:03 am
Hilarious! That was a great episode overall. Everything is better somehow with Christopher Walken in it.

Changing the topic, it is damn hot up here right now. It's funny how Canada often gets stereotyped as a cold country, but we really get all the extreme temperature. Turns out that my local area is actually, on average, 5 degrees (Celsius) hotter in summer than California. A couple of days ago, we hit 42oC (that's 107.6 Farenheit to those of you in the US, Turkey, or Myanmar) and I think we're supposed to reach that again on Sunday. I got back to school at the end of lunch yesterday and there were two police cars, an ambulance, and a fire truck out front because some other student collapsed from heat stroke during gym and had to be rushed to the hospital. We're getting some good thunderstorms, but somehow it's not really cooling anything off. Anybody else stuck in some bad weather right now?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #682 on: June 12, 2008, 03:40:29 am
Anybody else stuck in some bad weather right now?

are you in ontario?  if so, you're getting the same weather as us a day later.  don't worry, the third big storm is followed by nice cool weather.  i heard that from my friend in virginia yesterday and now that it's here I pass it off to you...:D
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #683 on: June 12, 2008, 04:06:29 am
are you in ontario?  if so, you're getting the same weather as us a day later.  don't worry, the third big storm is followed by nice cool weather.

Really? That's good news. Actually, I just checked the weather report again and (with the exception of friday) it's starting to look better than it did last time I checked. Excellent. I just hope it can stay a bit cooler for my exams next week.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #684 on: June 12, 2008, 07:50:26 am
ndchristie, I dibs that Totinos.   :o
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 07:56:34 am by Rydin »
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #685 on: June 12, 2008, 02:02:27 pm

That SNL sketch very nearly killed me with laughter. Literally, on the floor, suffocating.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #686 on: June 12, 2008, 11:53:57 pm
Hrm, the top Google Image result for Shadow of the Colossus is a resized JPG of Snake's work. http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/3536/colossalkatamarfx9.jpg
It seems to get stolen pretty fucking often :(
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #687 on: June 13, 2008, 02:15:30 am
Greetings from WA! I got a surprising glimpse of blue sky today. I was expecting a constant overcast.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #688 on: June 13, 2008, 02:43:16 am
Hrm, the top Google Image result for Shadow of the Colossus is a resized JPG of Snake's work. http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/3536/colossalkatamarfx9.jpg
It seems to get stolen pretty vucking often :(
I've gotta commend Snake on that piece. Not only because of the pixel-kick-assness of it, but also because he melded two very favorable things. People do a lot of work around here, but I don't think I've seen anyone else's stuff stolen and passed around the 'net as much as that piece. It's just a pity Snake's name seems to have been lost in all this passing around.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #689 on: June 13, 2008, 12:07:49 pm