AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 281265 times)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #620 on: May 29, 2008, 05:08:12 am
Beyond Good and Evil was the last game of the old ubisoft if you ask me.
Now they are basically just EA, absolutely no one will be surprised when they join.

What pisses me off though is that the first beyond good and evil had the best sales on the gamecube, and I remember reading that if it were an exclusive it would most likely have been a success.
If BG&E2 and the new banjo game turn out good (I highly doubt it) I'll buy a 360

p.s.
Lost Winds rocks.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #621 on: May 29, 2008, 05:51:28 am
Those Beyond Good and Evil screens are depressing. I suspect the game is will still be great, though, because they'lll have to make it great even just to sell it to people. It's not like they can sell it on the success of the previous game, because that game, for all it's awesome, wasn't a commercial success. So I'm still keen to play it, even though it is ugly.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #622 on: May 29, 2008, 06:21:48 am
I pretty much agree with Cow. Sure, gritty, brown games are, I think, too abundant (My brother and I are having a very hard time finding a game for the 360 that will cheer us up), but with BG&E2 I don't think it looks so bad. Just as long as they haven't boobified Jade, and ther're some places in the game with character, and the story's awesome, and the gameplay's awesome, I'm fine.

While I mentioned it, what 360 games can you guys suggest that are funny and fun?

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #623 on: May 29, 2008, 06:29:26 am
Sadly it's what the market has degenerated to.

I was playing SotC a while ago and my brother-in-law said it'd be a good game if the graphics weren't so terrible. It might not be as stylistic as the games pictured above, but it all just screams art to me and it saddens me the average gamer these days can't see it.
Just like Zelda: TP. Sure, it was tailored for last gen(Gamecube), but I thought the graphics were amazingly beautiful... yet all the reviews griped on how they expected more from the graphics.

Anyways, games will continue to churn out the same brown, gritty graphics because that's what impresses the average gamer. Financially, I guess it would be smarter to cater to the majority of gamers that want nothing but more polygons, instead of those who value the actual artistic feel of the game.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #624 on: May 29, 2008, 06:56:37 am
I pretty much agree with Cow. Sure, gritty, brown games are, I think, too abundant (My brother and I are having a very hard time finding a game for the 360 that will cheer us up), but with BG&E2 I don't think it looks so bad. Just as long as they haven't boobified Jade, and ther're some places in the game with character, and the story's awesome, and the gameplay's awesome, I'm fine.

While I mentioned it, what 360 games can you guys suggest that are funny and fun?
viva pinata is a lot of fun, I was truly surprised that my friends really got into that game.
But considering how starved they are for colour..
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #625 on: May 29, 2008, 03:59:12 pm
p.s.
Lost Winds rocks.
Agreed. I was hoping it would have been a bit longer though.

I was playing SotC a while ago and my brother-in-law said it'd be a good game if the graphics weren't so terrible. It might not be as stylistic as the games pictured above, but it all just screams art to me and it saddens me the average gamer these days can't see it.
Just like Zelda: TP. Sure, it was tailored for last gen(Gamecube), but I thought the graphics were amazingly beautiful... yet all the reviews griped on how they expected more from the graphics.
Twilight Princess was another gorgeous game. The normal world was bright and colourful while the Twilight had an awesome sort of surreal visual fluidity (for lack of a better description). SotC wasn't as colourful most of the time, but it didn't need to be to be a very pretty game. Unless your brother-in-law was comparing it to modern PS3 or 360 games (or PC games), I can't see how anyone could consider its graphics bad. They're still some of the best from last gen.

While we're on the topic of graphics in new games, what does everyone thinking of the art direction for MadWorld for the Wii? For those of you that haven't seen it, the folks at Platinum are trying to get around the Wii's lack of power by creating an ultra-violent, comic book-style game with only three colours: black, white, and red for the copious amounts of blood.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #626 on: May 29, 2008, 06:08:35 pm
From what i gather, platinum games is mostly the guys who made Okami, right?
All their 3 upcoming games seem to have some unique qualities to them and MadWorld looks very interesting so far. I hope they can give it personality other than just the violence part, which i'm sure they can pull off(like god hand).

As for beyond good and evil 2, i wouldn't be too concerned about them street credifying it too much. The teaser was quite colorful for a desert anyway and pigs are supposed to be dirty. What little it showed about Jade, she looked the way she used to be.
The new prince of persia is quite colorful and stylish with the halfway toonshading and stroke around the characters. Creeping evil black stuff is getting old i think, but we'll see. Oh and the concept art is spectacular.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 06:23:35 pm by huZba »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #627 on: May 29, 2008, 06:14:03 pm
yeah i can only assume that he was talking about how jaggy the characters were up close, or how occasionally the darks got hella muddy.  graphics =/= atmosphere though and SotC definitely has atmosphere.

I personally loved viva pinata, but i'm a sucker for color, and cuteness.

as far as MadWord, the screenshots say it all.  They need to need to need to get their shaders sorted and look at the inspiration.  When you look at comic books, at least, the good ones, there's usually a figure on a ground no matter how you spin it.  even as busy as they come you still have a bright character against a dark ground.  sure, there's a LOT of meaningless grit involved too (as in many art forms), but when i look at their screens, i don't have a clue what's going on or what the action is.  It's a bold move but it's going to fail visually if they don't put some more effort in.

I always thought the metroid series was visually interesting, if less inspired or stylish than most.

supposedly miyamoto is interested in continuing pikmin in the next few years, that would make me happy :)

i tend to look to handhelds for color because you need so much of it to even see the screens well.  They still have the same deficiencies that all the old platofrm had (mostly because all of their games are drawn similarly to those of the old platforms) but at least they aren't gritty and ugly.

...unless it's The World Ends With You, which is Squaresoft's way of saying "Suck it, we can live off of ports and shitty games FOREVER as long as we've got Cloud and Sora" (to be fair, their other new games, trite and tedious as they are, are cute and colorful).

new prince of persia looks good - DAMNIT huZba you beat me to it!

one thing 'm not convinced of those is that we're in a recession.  Has there ever been a time period where more than a handful of beautful games were breaking into the market?  it's easy to look back on 20 years of games and cry about the new ones...but there has always been the ugly mainstream and the rare few pretties.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #628 on: May 30, 2008, 01:34:06 am
Does anyone know why Punaji hasnt been restored yet? I know David wanted to close it, but the community didnt seem to be in favor, whats going on? Anyone talked to thei'in the know' crowd?
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #629 on: May 30, 2008, 02:03:19 am
I'm guessing it isn't coming back up: " Please send all inquiries regarding purchasing this domain to people@punaji.com "
Such a shame. Was a good site.

In other news, I read some 19 year old gamer was just made Mayor of Muskogee, Oklahoma. That is effin' awesome in my book. Apparently, he was running against some old 70 year old fart. Hopefully, this kid will bring some positive light back into politics.
my back hurts...