AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 279017 times)

Offline Flame

• !
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #480 on: April 25, 2008, 10:46:24 pm
Im not sure if anyone is into any urban/street art, but I thought this was pretty cool:

http://gawker.com/5006905/flowing-pixels-in-the-east-village
!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #481 on: April 25, 2008, 11:12:05 pm
Im not sure if anyone is into any urban/street art, but I thought this was pretty cool:

http://gawker.com/5006905/flowing-pixels-in-the-east-village

Quote from: the linked post
Pretty. This would have more impact with a starving dog tied to it.

i wish i had gone past that while it was there, i've been on east ninth all week looking at apartments.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #482 on: April 29, 2008, 05:50:48 pm
Eh, I was checking out pixeljoint's new challenge and one of the rules is to have no more or less than 32 colors. I don't really like the idea of the rule but was basically told to shove it when I brought it up because it's 'new'. Can anyone shine some light on why that's a good rule... am I missing something?

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #483 on: April 29, 2008, 07:50:45 pm
   Dusty, it's a challenge, that's why. The winner, Adam, felt it should be exactly 32 colors, so that's the rule. I don't think someone told you to shove it, just that it was the winners decision to make the rules. In my opinion, 32 colors in a piece isn't so bad, and not so hard. After all, most challenges with color restrictions usually like to keep it below 16 colors, so this kinda' gives some extra room. Plus the other rule is it being over the subject of a fictional sports. Most team sports have some type of individual colors, making this exact color rule, not so bad. IE, if a piece were about two fictional teams going against each other, one could be red other could be blue. So to fit the restrictions, each team could have their own 16 bit palette, to differentiate between the two. Could work something like this:
   >>Team 1: 4 red ramps + 4 skin ramps + 4 earth ramps(browns, darks, etc) + 4 white ramps(numbers, eyes, light)=16 colors
   >>Team 2: 4 blue ramps + 4 skin ramps + 4 earth ramps(browns, darks, etc) + 4 white ramps(numbers, eyes, light)=16 colors
   >>total 32 colors(and if set in a field, you could use some existing colors to make the ground, like the given earth ramps, and white ramps)

Again, this is just a simple take, as there are other options you have here, as one team could primarily be made up of 8 individual colors, as well as the other team, making 16 in total, while the other 16 colors can be set for a background. Or one can go wild on a piece, do a color count and find what he needs to add, or take away, if not the anal type. Really, I don't see the fuss in this, or why the need to bring it up on a different forum, unless you really feel color count of a challenge should NEVER be a certain number, if it's just for a retarded giggle.

But if you still feel strongly against the rules, then that's the opinion I guess. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, I just wish you'd talk it over with the people at Pixeljoint a little more, so it can be cleared up if possible. Make the lovez, not the warz, man...z..
my back hurts...

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #484 on: April 29, 2008, 08:12:01 pm
Eh, I wasn't trying to make war or anything :P I just wanted to know what the logic in it was. Instead people just kept telling me that's the rules, you either like it or don't participate. That's why I brought it here... as they didn't seem like they wanted to discuss it, just follow it. I figure I could get some explanations about it that weren't so biased here.

Restricting to under 16 colors makes sense... it forces us to manage our colors effectively... it challenges us. On the other hand I don't see how forcing us to add colors is challenging... it feels more artificial.

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #485 on: April 30, 2008, 03:41:31 am
forgot to grab me a tile in the iso collaboration
i'm such a failure pixel artist

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #486 on: May 02, 2008, 07:16:15 pm
http://www.whereismyeyeball.com/2d/underneath.html

This was posted on pixeljoint and someone mentioned collab and I agree it would be a great idea for a collab. Having a huge vertical piece and sectioning it off and having each person do a layer of the planet(or any planet for that matter) would be pretty cool.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #487 on: May 03, 2008, 08:58:01 pm
forgot to grab me a tile in the iso collaboration
i'm such a failure pixel artist

you can have 12 if you like, i've been waiting to see what people around me do so i've yet to begin
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #488 on: May 03, 2008, 09:02:33 pm
I posted in the Iso Collab thread that it does not work like this. You can say that you free a tile in there. But not pass it on to anyone else of your choosing. Who comes first to announce he wants it, gets it.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #489 on: May 04, 2008, 12:20:13 am
I posted in the Iso Collab thread that it does not work like this. You can say that you free a tile in there. But not pass it on to anyone else of your choosing. Who comes first to announce he wants it, gets it.

kk.

more OT about your sig though, I read it as "Etienne" instead of "Ptoing"
A mistake is a mistake.