AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 278876 times)

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #460 on: April 19, 2008, 02:01:50 pm
Hey guys, I'm needing some kind of free forum with a server of it's own for a project of mine, and I was wondering wether any of you had any experience on this. I remember there was something like this called Ezboard back in the day.....what's the best thing right now?

Dont need too much fancy stuff, just ease of use and hopefully some free uploading space to go along with it

ezboards, and proboards are easy and free hosted
but there are multitudes of exploits for both softwares (ezboards and PHPBB)

try forumer, they were nice enough when i gave them a shot
simple machines is obviously good if you grab some webspace :P

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #461 on: April 22, 2008, 10:04:33 am
We read a few topics "i paid half but the kid didn't do any of the artwork" and I'm sure this problem hurts the reliable people in that it may be difficult to distinguish between the two groups. One way around this would be if a moderator of the forum would act as a go between for a small fee. eg. the artist (A) and the programmer (P) agree on artwork required and 'milestones' where payment should occur. P gives the moderator all the money (M) via paypal, then as A completes milestones (eg. all tiles done) P pms the moderator and M transfers money to A.  If A stops working, M gives money back to P.

I haven't thought through the practicalities and I'm sure it would be a headache for M, but thats where the fee comes in. Just putting the idea out there.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #462 on: April 22, 2008, 11:58:02 am
That's not what the mods here are there for. And I for one would not welcome the idea of involving the forum in financial matters of others.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #463 on: April 22, 2008, 12:24:46 pm
Well I guess anyone with the time and paypal account could offer this service. I suggested moderators because of their trustworthiness and they can work together so any one person doesn't have too much cash in their account (ie. reduce incentive to leave with money). Perhaps this problem of people getting ripped off doesn't occur often. Would anyone, artist or programmer, be interested in using such a service provided the kinks were worked out?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #464 on: April 22, 2008, 02:14:40 pm
paypal takes a cut too, so every transfer you do would result in loss of money.

also, whats to stop person M stealing all the money (moderators aren't that trustworthy you know!)

also, this is why most companies pay you after you've done the work, and a service like this would be a bit rediculous.  There's no need, I like to have a decent connection and trustworthy employers.

you can normally tell if someone is going to rip you off.  Judging characters and making decision is all part of the business world.  I don't think i would want someone to take a cut for doing that for me.

plus i don't really think this type of thing should be anything to do with an art critique board, If you think it would be a good business venture why not set it up on your own website.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #465 on: April 22, 2008, 03:40:42 pm
This is called "escrow" and lots of institutions provide this service already, especially for large purposes like houses.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #466 on: April 23, 2008, 01:40:37 am
also, this is why most companies pay you after you've done the work, and a service like this would be a bit rediculous.  There's no need, I like to have a decent connection and trustworthy employers.

This transfers the risk to the artist and isn't what always occurs:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=6241.msg72881#new

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=4199.msg67160#msg67160

plus i don't really think this type of thing should be anything to do with an art critique board, If you think it would be a good business venture why not set it up on your own website.

I wasn't trying to make some money. 50$ paid to someone for nothing means that the programmer has 50$ less to pay a genuine artist, or he might give up on hiring altogether. I was thinking about 'market efficiency' when I made the post.

This is called "escrow" and lots of institutions provide this service already, especially for large purposes like houses.

Maybe you could recommend a "pay after he has drawn half policy" or this service in the rules section for PAID sub forum (when hiring less experienced artists). Maybe not necessary, I could only find two topics about rip offs (and one is unresolved), so guess its not a big problem.

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #467 on: April 24, 2008, 04:50:35 am
Xion, your avatar has too much big, and not enough small.

No real reason for doing this, I just decided it'd be fun to try to downsize your avy.  :crazy:

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #468 on: April 24, 2008, 05:32:15 am
Haha, awesome :)
How unexpected!

*saves*

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #469 on: April 24, 2008, 05:54:03 pm
Post good nights sleep version.

now, with more fitting colors, and no rushed text!