AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 278915 times)

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #450 on: April 17, 2008, 03:54:53 pm
Definatly not pixel art as far as I can tell.

According to SNK, they make high res renders modeled off the existing actions. Then they painstakingly pixel over each frame. With this process, and artist finishes a frame and a half per day.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #451 on: April 17, 2008, 04:41:57 pm
   Pixel art or not, it still looks gorgeous to me. I remember seeing it a while ago, and thinking to myself "FINALLY, SNK decides to update their rehashed sprites."...

In other fighting game news, the SF4 3D is looking to be kinda' fun. I think most people here were hating on it, because of the not so real anatomical characteristics, and 'roided up Ryu. But after looking at all the other character models, realism wasn't what the creators were going for. It seems like they've been improving the character models a bit since we last saw them, as Ken's face looks a bit better, but Ryu still has huge, weird looking eyes, and face. However, as far as gameplay is concerned, it still needs a bit of work. I was hoping something close to SF3 type controls(yeah, I know I'm one of the many, so sue me.), like parrying, and maybe even dodging as well. I don't like the whole 1 attack per move type deal, like the old Street Fighter games were. Instead I'm more a fan of the combo system that's evolved in later 2d games. Hopefully they improve this portion of the gameplay to allow for more experienced players to compete...oh, and for fun as well.  ;D The specials look great as far as I can tell. Some of the New characters look like they may be fun to use (El Fuerte, Rufus, and Abel).
   I saw the newest Soul Calibur intro the other day and came to realize it didn't really make much sense...just huge, bouncy ta ta's and sword fighting....and Darth Vader. Weird.

my back hurts...

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #452 on: April 17, 2008, 05:51:17 pm
 :'( Uff, I got in a car crash yesterday, sister's car is totalled and my neck is killin' me, but no serious injuries in our car. And then our dad's land cruiser broke down so the only working cars we have are the super-old and unreliable ones.

On the subject of movies, though, you guys seen The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra? It's like Plan 9 From Outer Space only less boring and more retarded.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #453 on: April 17, 2008, 06:10:26 pm
Definatly not pixel art as far as I can tell.

According to SNK, they make high res renders modeled off the existing actions. Then they painstakingly pixel over each frame. With this process, and artist finishes a frame and a half per day.

I've often wondered about this technique. I mean, would it actually save any time or have significant benefits? If you intend to keep it clean, maybe meet a colourcount, the only way I can see them doing it is using a fairly low-poly model with no AA and maybe some basic colours. Considering you make to make the model, rig it, and then start working on adding detail, it seems very timeconsuming. Not to mention you have to position the thing for animation captures. If you sprited and animated from scrach, you could avoid all those steps. I can see the benefit of getting the perspective, pose and proportions correct though.

With characters that have little additional detail and no outlines, I suppose it could be a bit faster. Elena in SF3 is very obviously traced from something, but has little additional detail, so it makes sense. If you have alot of baggy clothing with edges, belts, chains, straps and whatnot, I don't think it would be very beneficial apart from the pose. Adding cloth simmulation to the model would be an enourmous waste of time at least. Better to pixel that.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #454 on: April 17, 2008, 11:57:36 pm
Ah, Elena from SF3, epitome of bad rotoscoping. But I said that often enough.

Anyway. Got's myself a blog.

Has nudity for those of you who are concerned.

http://ptoing.blogspot.com/

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #455 on: April 18, 2008, 12:14:15 am
Anyway. Got's myself a blog.
I'm gonna be checkin' up frequently, baby :-*.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #456 on: April 19, 2008, 01:44:46 am
Hey guys, I'm needing some kind of free forum with a server of it's own for a project of mine, and I was wondering wether any of you had any experience on this. I remember there was something like this called Ezboard back in the day.....what's the best thing right now?

Dont need too much fancy stuff, just ease of use and hopefully some free uploading space to go along with it
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 02:35:32 am by Conceit »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #457 on: April 19, 2008, 01:59:58 am
SMF (what we are using) is simple enough to set up. Free uploading space is another thing. For any forum to work you need a server to support php or at least cgi (which is not much used anymore anyway). Then again, hosting is not that expensive at all really, all depends on how much traffic you will get.

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #458 on: April 19, 2008, 05:45:10 am
From what I remember, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra kicked ass...haven't seen it for a few years though.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #459 on: April 19, 2008, 01:56:17 pm
Your personality type is INFP.
Introverted (I) 68%    Extraverted (E) 32%
Intuitive (N) 91%    Sensing (S) 9%
Feeling (F) 90%    Thinking (T) 10%
Perceiving (P) 95%    Judging (J) 5%

Also, for those who can be bothered reading and trying to understand this weird system,

Type 4 - 13.3
Type 2 - 11
Type 9 - 10.7
Type 5 - 10.7
Type 7 - 9.7
Type 6 - 8.7
Type 3 - 5.7

Wing 4w5 - 18.6
Wing 5w4 - 17.4
Wing 4w3 - 16.2
Wing 5w6 - 15
Wing 7w6 - 14
Wing 6w5 - 14
Wing 2w3 - 13.8
Wing 6w7 - 13.5
Wing 3w4 - 12.4
Wing 2w1 - 12
Wing 9w1 - 11.7
Wing 9w8 - 11.3
Wing 3w2 - 11.2
Wing 7w8 - 10.3

more on what that means here http://www.eclecticenergies.com/enneagram/introduction.php
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 02:09:18 pm by Sohashu »
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.