AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 278890 times)

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #290 on: March 05, 2008, 11:44:44 am
It must be really nice to be a straight white male and not give a damn about anybody else.

I think at this point this argument has only become ironic.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #291 on: March 05, 2008, 11:59:05 am
Let's have a makeout session to lighten the mood :-*

GAHAHAHAHa sign me up for that  :D  :lol:

PS: what happened to all those rolling squares emoticons? I think atleast the happy one and the lol one could be replaced with one of those.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #292 on: March 05, 2008, 02:19:12 pm
Murder is among the leading causes of death for women, but particularly pregnant women.  This is only small compared to homicide counts against young black men, but it should also be remembered that hate crimes are not the primary motivator in those numbers, either.  To suggest that pregnant women are much less a target of violence and homicide because of their pregnancy than a young black man is a target because of his race alone is to be wrong.

Of course, there is a problem with this argument in that racism is a profound source of poverty and desperation, and both of those situations create environments in which murders and other crimes occur.  The bigots discovered long ago that if you keep people oppressed enough that they begin to behave like animals, they are able to tell themselves that those people are like animals, continue to oppress them, and continue to hide from the fact that their racism is indirectly murder.

This is true among highly educated people, oddly enough.  My grandfather, the late chief justice for the court of Delaware, went to his grave believing that black people caused crime because most of the crimes he reviewed (the gritty sort) were committed by blacks against blacks, not realizing or at least not expressing the idea that poverty causes crime and racism causes poverty among blacks.

As far as the mockup, presented out of context, the player does not understand why he is having wrenches thrown at him.  He unwittingly becomes the homosexual protagonist who is not by any means deserving of such a treatment.  Presented in context, he becomes so knowledgeably.  Whatever anger the player feels in that situation is directed at the unseen adversary - it is impossible to know where the wrenches are coming from aka it is impossible to know who is a danger to you as a homosexual until it becomes an immediate problem.  I stand by the piece as - intentionally or not - promoting empathy for the targets of an arbitrary hatred, be it homosexuality or be it something else equally irrelevant to their rights to a pain-free existence, due to the assignment of roles. 

If they were reversed, say, you were to win by beating homosexuals, it would be much more of a debate between whether it was good or bad.  it would be significantly more profound, as a game, in that empowerment demands decision making which demands a consideration of the subject - it forces people to strongly consider whether they are comfortable with being a bigot.  The success of the game would be measured by the number of people who refuse to play it, because that refusal demonstrates an understanding that the hatred is wrong which is what the game and the film are trying to convey.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #293 on: March 05, 2008, 02:27:51 pm
Let's have a makeout session to lighten the mood :-*

GAHAHAHAHa sign me up for that  :D  :lol:

bah, I'll pass - my best friend and I just discovered that there's something extremely depressing about hooking up without a romantic attachment to each other.  Oh well, fun while it lasted.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline mice

• View Profile

Reply #294 on: March 05, 2008, 02:58:56 pm
Quote from: cave
...he didn't even know that Jack was murdered in the movie.

That is YOUR interpretation of it.

Read this: (search for "jack died" in the text)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brokeback_Mountain

Ang Lee movies requires you to think for yourself, not just take the images one by one and store them.
It's clearly a movie about prejustice, and that it is an effect of many things.

Offline leroy

• Go with the flow
    • View Profile

Reply #295 on: March 05, 2008, 03:27:06 pm
my best friend and I just discovered that there's something extremely depressing about hooking up without a romantic attachment to each other.

That won't stop me and my best friend. I hope.  :(

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #296 on: March 05, 2008, 03:38:43 pm
Re: adarias' analysis - interesting point that rargh! guy told me once is that he didn't like the movie 'se7en'. He said, by not showing the murders in that movie, you are forced to imagine how the murders took place. As a result of acting out the murders in your mind, you are complicite in them. I was like whoa, thats my favourite movie, now you are telling me I want to become a serial killer? Anyways, I bring it up to post a contrary view, that by not showing the racists, we are forced to imagine why they are throwing wrenches, and perhaps idea is planted in our mind as being valid. Bah, I sound like such a wanker, thats what happens when you try to say "im not a racist/homophobe". Which is hypocriitcal of me, considering I called Adarias a homo as an insult.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline cave

• Strawberries! :3
    • View Profile
    • Colocada

Reply #297 on: March 05, 2008, 03:47:08 pm
Re: adarias' analysis - interesting point that rargh! guy told me once is that he didn't like the movie 'se7en'. He said, by not showing the murders in that movie, you are forced to imagine how the murders took place. As a result of acting out the murders in your mind, you are complicite in them. I was like whoa, thats my favourite movie, now you are telling me I want to become a serial killer? Anyways, I bring it up to post a contrary view, that by not showing the racists, we are forced to imagine why they are throwing wrenches, and perhaps idea is planted in our mind as being valid. Bah, I sound like such a wanker, thats what happens when you try to say "im not a racist/homophobe". Which is hypocriitcal of me, considering I called Adarias a homo as an insult.

I agree, if the mockup actually showed the gay bashers as the baddies, I wouldn't have had a problem with it. As the game was designed, there was no way to win, it was understood that wrenches were going to be thrown at you forever. Which I guess isn't a bad lesson at all to learn, because it's probably true, at least figuratively... But it does make the stomach turn.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 03:54:12 pm by cave »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #298 on: March 05, 2008, 05:46:09 pm
I agree, if the mockup actually showed the gay bashers as the baddies, I wouldn't have had a problem with it. As the game was designed, there was no way to win, it was understood that wrenches were going to be thrown at you forever. Which I guess isn't a bad lesson at all to learn, because it's probably true, at least figuratively... But it does make the stomach turn.

yeah, the stomach turn is the appropriate reaction, i'm just trying to say that it's a good thing for people to be sickened sometimes if it means fewer wrenches.

and perhaps idea is planted in our mind as being valid.

I don't know if that's so much a danger because they are clearly antagonizing - most people would not feel an association with the things that harm them directly.  still, it's a risk.

considering I called Adarias a homo
i had a show of hands at a party to see how many of my friends thought i was gay.  all but three and a half, lol.  perhaps i just give off that vibe.

That won't stop me and my best friend. I hope.  Sad
Don't have sex with her, that's my advice.  Keep it light so that you have fun but don't end up feeling scummy.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #299 on: March 05, 2008, 06:03:36 pm
Personally I thought that the humor of the mockup was simply the idea that the player can try to prevent the death of a character that is supposed to die according to the plot of the movie, and that the player's efforts are ultimately futile. A Titanic game where you play as Leonardo DiCaprio jumping on sinking blocks of ice and debris would have been funny for the same reasons.
I mild from suffer dislexia.