AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 278902 times)

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #280 on: March 05, 2008, 03:08:06 am
@ sharprm & Dusty: Pregnant ladies and babies are not a persecuted minority group.

Non-minority = fair game.

wait, are you seriously suggesting that a piece of art depicting the murder of a pregnant woman is somehow less vulgar than the murder of a homosexual? Sounds like you're creating the line of discrimination here.

I encourage Mice to defend his original piece. Perhaps I will mockup Triumph of the Will.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #281 on: March 05, 2008, 03:11:01 am
Exactly.

And in the mock-up, the wrenches just came from no where... as most NES games. If you say it's not about the mock-up, fine... if it's about the movie... fine, but why bring it up in the thread for mock-ups? Criticize the movie, not the person who made a mock-up about it, he didn't make the movie.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #282 on: March 05, 2008, 03:20:39 am
I find explicitly discriminatory or racist things hilarious.

I'm not racist or discriminatory by credo, however I wouldn't hesitate to make a gay joke. I view all groups as equal, however some stuff is too outrageous to pass up.  :)

Offline cave

• Strawberries! :3
    • View Profile
    • Colocada

Reply #283 on: March 05, 2008, 03:32:30 am
The challenge is about turning a movie into a mockup for the NES. Without the context of the movie, the mockup is completely devoid of meaning... you can't sepparate the two so easily.

I will not criticize the movie, IMO it was brilliant. It did not depict killing a homosexual in a jolly tone, unlike mice's mockup.

@ Stwelin: Don't try to bend my words, of course pregnant ladies are not fair game. You can make a joke about killing them tough, and (likely) no one will get upset. Because pregnant ladies are NOT routinely killed, they won't feel threatened/personally attacked by the joke. I can't believe I even have to state this.

I really do believe now that mice meant no harm, he didn't even know that Jack was murdered in the movie. I'm sure that if he did know, he wouldn't have made that image. Can we please just put this behind us already?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 03:40:48 am by cave »

Offline cave

• Strawberries! :3
    • View Profile
    • Colocada

Reply #284 on: March 05, 2008, 03:35:20 am

I'm not racist or discriminatory by credo, however I wouldn't hesitate to make a gay joke. I view all groups as equal, however some stuff is too outrageous to pass up.  :)

It must be really nice to be a straight white male and not give a damn about anybody else.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #285 on: March 05, 2008, 03:45:36 am

It must be really nice to be a straight white male and not give a damn about anybody else.

Tell this to the black kid who has half my GPA and gets picked over me by the college admissions office.

Affirmative action "Ho!"

edit: just because a piece is not serious when dealing with issues of hate crime, race, gender, violence and et cetera, doesn't mean that it is not valid.

define: satire.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 03:48:54 am by Stwelin »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #286 on: March 05, 2008, 04:09:28 am
Cave - if you had seen the movie with the pregnant lady you would know she was an immigrant and being targeted to be killed by the government because she was an immigrant. This is a real world issue as well where Governments exploit racist sentiments to maintain power. The fact that they were willing to kill off the only chance for society's survival shows how short sighted, self defeating these policies are. But I was like ahahahahahah its that movie and its a nes game ahahah. Chill out, stop thinking in 'black and white' terms. Anyone can say they are not a racist without actually thinking about what racism actually. Here's a good one: an international friend told me that the tram inspectors only fine international students. Was she being racist by calling tram inspectors racist? If she had seen tram inspectors let 'locals' off and been fined herself, thats a fair statement. Otherwise methinks its a generalisation based on a prejudice that 'white people' are racist.

And yeah, I blurred homophobia and racism, but its all based on fear, hatred and the conclusions of a 'reptilian' mind.

How will censorship reduce hate crimes?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #287 on: March 05, 2008, 04:22:39 am
Seriously, you guys know how to kill a fun activity... :(
my back hurts...

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #288 on: March 05, 2008, 04:36:11 am