AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 278923 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #220 on: February 12, 2008, 05:30:47 pm
You either are a bit confused as to what objectification is or you're making a very studied distinction, because 99% of the time objectification of women an ideological action in itself, it does not usually occur without a method of thinking to support it. I guess you could argue that someone draws girls being beaten and raped cuz 'he likes it!!!' and leave it at that but that's just begging the question.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #221 on: February 12, 2008, 06:15:26 pm
I don't go gunz plazing nuts from seeing Geromes hugely controversial paintings is more what i'm trying to say. He wasn't pushing it with making it just on a few occasions and i doubt many people who paint vile things enjoy doing vile things. Objectifying women, or men, doesn't really count as weird ideology i guess, as long as it's balanced and for the sake of art and entertainment.

I tried making a funnay with calling Gerome a possibly vile man, but failed, obviously.

When i think about it, if there really was someone who painted extreme violence cause they enjoyed doing it so much, it would be quite fascinating, though it's more likely that the artist was just fascinated about it himself so he painted it.

I might be confused about what you're getting at, but would anyone ever paint someone being beaten and raped if they didn't like something attached to the thought? Or someone could find it completely repulsive but painted it anyway cause it causes interesting emotions. All for the sake of entertainment of course.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #222 on: February 12, 2008, 09:26:45 pm
Objectifying women, or men, doesn't really count as weird ideology i guess, as long as it's balanced and for the sake of art and entertainment.

That's a very strange point of view for me. Not least because of the grouping of art and entertainment in the same area. I personally find art and entertainment only superficially coexist and the more great a piece of art it is, the less comfortable it makes me feel. Which isn't to say that being uncomfortable means I feel bad, just in a displaced state of mind from my normal. Entertainment on the other hand usually enforces my present state of mind and generally gently caresses my sensibilities. One of the two is trying to sell itself to me, the other not. Can we spot which is which?

As for people that paint atrocity for reasons far removed from making a positively-aligned ideological stand, you should consider that they paint them to make a negatively-aligned one. Paint something horrible so people can remember what horrible means and such. This is actually a very widespread thing in art!

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #223 on: February 13, 2008, 01:19:10 am
Honesty should determine the significance of a work of art more than controversy or persuasive intent.
Sure, one could abuse art and use it's power for persuasive means--that's advertising, and okay, yeah, sure, that's arguably art.  But good art, art with lasting ability is merely a reflection--all positive or negative intentions aside.
Art is really just a mirror (whether the artist is conscious of it or not.)  All the artist is doing is reflecting--if people hate the reflection, it's their own ignorance.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #224 on: February 13, 2008, 01:38:32 am
Paint something horrible so people can remember what horrible means and such. This is actually a very widespread thing in art!

I agree, I found all the 'modern art' in the museum I went to to be horrible. Not sure if thats what you meant. I like this article, gist is modern art is crap and you've all been conned at uni.

http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/philosophy1.asp
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #225 on: February 13, 2008, 01:59:55 am
I agree, I found all the 'modern art' in the museum I went to to be horrible.

there's a slight self-satire involved with founding an all-condemning opinion on a single event, but besides that, you're just playing into the next logical turnaround in art.  Every movement ever thought the previous one was a load of bull, and attempted to revise.  Every advancement is at the same time returning to something like what came before.  Kudos for catching the wave, but if you condemn contemporary art, that's just as bad as when they condemned the modernists, as bad as those in turn condemning romantics condemning baroque and so on and so forth until the beginning of time.

Everyone has their opinions of course.  I, for one, a not a fan of the surrealists.  I think most of them were a lot less revolutionary than their supporters profess.  They do really nothing for me.  It's been said.  BUT!! - Do i think they were BAD??? of course not.  Whether you like something and whether you appreciate it should rarely go hand in hand.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #226 on: February 13, 2008, 02:13:38 am
If the idea that modern is crap is 'old hat' then I'm glad, I certainly wasn't aware of it. When will this filter through to the museums? I've been to art museums a few times, but its always pretty similar. 75% was modern art and totally worthless, even though there is a whole museum for contempory art nearby. There was a small section for realistic landscapes and portraits, and another 2 small sections for ancient asian art. Those sections should be expanded and the modern art should be burnt or hung in gymnasiums.

Its the same with history museums. There isn't 'cool' stuff like weapons, ancient armour, etc. Its all what was it like living in the 1920's and how has attitudes to women changed. The less said about modern architecture the better ...

Point is that there should be a move to quality stuff, not stuff that is easy to write about. Looking forward to seeing what the 'wave' produces.

About modern art: Sometimes there is nothing to appreciate.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 02:15:30 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #227 on: February 13, 2008, 02:50:21 am
If the idea that modern is crap is 'old hat' then I'm glad, I certainly wasn't aware of it. When will this filter through to the museums? I've been to art museums a few times, but its always pretty similar. 75% was modern art and totally worthless, even though there is a whole museum for contempory art nearby. There was a small section for realistic landscapes and portraits, and another 2 small sections for ancient asian art. Those sections should be expanded and the modern art should be burnt or hung in gymnasiums.

Its the same with history museums. There isn't 'cool' stuff like weapons, ancient armour, etc. Its all what was it like living in the 1920's and how has attitudes to women changed. The less said about modern architecture the better ...

Point is that there should be a move to quality stuff, not stuff that is easy to write about. Looking forward to seeing what the 'wave' produces.

About modern art: Sometimes there is nothing to appreciate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #228 on: February 13, 2008, 03:53:50 am

PROTIP:  Not about the urinal.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #229 on: February 13, 2008, 04:12:09 am
easy to write about

easy to write about? http://www.ubu.com/film/mccarthy.html  Viewer discretion advised.

Looks like somebody'd benefit from some art appreciation lessons.  :lala:   
(isn't that sentence deliciously ambiguous?)

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 04:14:45 am by Rydin »
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.