AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 278887 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #210 on: February 11, 2008, 02:46:34 pm
I don't think you should take that very seriously. In fact if you don't some sequences of questions are downright hilarious

You have never been beaten up.
You NEVER cry more than twice a month.

NEVER!!

You have over 50 friends on myspace
You have pictures on myspace.
Your parents let you have a myspace-

If this was written a bit better it would be something the Onion would have come up with.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #211 on: February 11, 2008, 04:24:32 pm
Yeah Its really hard to take it seriously, especially when posting bulletins with their answers they usually come across as that much more depressed by failing. Most people just don't know what they have, there are people out there who have nothing and wouldn't even consider that more friends on myspace would effect their happiness.

On a lighter note, they did an experiment to see what happens to spiders when they're given drugs. Awesome.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHzdsFiBbFc
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline leel

• Embrace simplicity
    • View Profile
    • cmw

Reply #212 on: February 11, 2008, 07:59:46 pm
Meh, I liked heartless Leel, rather than kind and forgiving Leel. Suits your cold Ukranian heart...*shudders*
What are you on about?  I've always been kind and forgiving!  But I can get my whip out of storage, if that's what you're into  ;)

I remember taking that test a year or so ago.    36% happy right now, geez.  Wait though - I had a pet, but someone took her and then lost her and she no doubt is dead by now.. how is that a point for happiness?  D:   Thank goodness I have a cell phone and a screen name to get me through these hard times.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #213 on: February 11, 2008, 08:17:19 pm
All my living relatives are dead.....my girlfriend cheats on me.....I got a mean heroine addiction.....have lung cancer.....I'm blind.....I lost my job.......I'm being framed for a murder, and my jail sentence begins this sunday....but hey, it's all good! 98% happy ;) :y:--mom lets me have a myspace.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #214 on: February 12, 2008, 04:57:49 am
i found out about a great artist today for the first time, Jean-Leon Gerome.  apparently famous but i'd never heard of.  wonderful stuff that you should look up if you're not familiar.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #215 on: February 12, 2008, 05:48:19 am
Yeah Its really hard to take it seriously, especially when posting bulletins with their answers they usually come across as that much more depressed by failing. Most people just don't know what they have, there are people out there who have nothing and wouldn't even consider that more friends on myspace would effect their happiness.

On a lighter note, they did an experiment to see what happens to spiders when they're given drugs. Awesome.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHzdsFiBbFc

whoa, I truly didn't see that comming.  Awesome :)

as for taking things like myspace tests seriously, you'd be surprised.  Some people do.  Yesterday on the subway I overheard a woman rant on about her business plans to buy homes or whatnot, only to add "but my horoscope said I shouldn't take financial risks today, so I wont"

I literally laughed out loud, and she looked quite angry :P

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #216 on: February 12, 2008, 08:05:44 am
i found out about a great artist today for the first time, Jean-Leon Gerome.  apparently famous but i'd never heard of.  wonderful stuff that you should look up if you're not familiar.

:n:

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #217 on: February 12, 2008, 12:59:03 pm

:n:

not a fan?  there is the blatant objectification of woman, but he's discussing it in a historical context and is still more progressive than many of his peers.  At least he elevates them while removing their sense of will :/

John Berger would tear him to bits im sure, but john berger is also a writer who irks me for his insistence upon establishing context only as a subordinate element while making broad condemnations of the world at large (i realize that's what im doing here, but i'm not writing a televsion or book series so I'm going to pull the whole "we hold these truths to be self evident" escape.)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline ter-o

• Elitist scum
    • View Profile

Reply #218 on: February 12, 2008, 01:13:47 pm
I don't know everything, I just know everything else.
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #219 on: February 12, 2008, 04:24:19 pm
 :y:  ;D

Hehe, yeah Gerome's paintings are stunning.
As for the objectification part, that's fine, i think objectifying whatever is fine as long as it's not accompanied with a bunch of weird ideologies or ill intent.
I couldn't find more than a handful of might-be-controversial paintings out of ~150, so i guess it would be safe to assume he wasn't obessed about making women plain objects... or maybe he was, but repressed his vile intentions.... or maybe he was a fine chap and did it just fot the heck of it. It's hard to tell while he's not around :P

Loads of Gerome's paintings and sculptures  -> http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/art.asp?aid=9&page=1
http://www.artrenewal.org is a great resource for anyone interested in art history. Most pictures have high-res downloads to boot.