AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 280966 times)

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #170 on: January 29, 2008, 05:39:33 am
I ordered a moleskine, but it's on back order.   :mean:
Back order? Are they really that popular? My college book store was over stocked with them when I worked there so I took a few. I also got a few of the crummy thin paper ones. Avoid them.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #171 on: January 29, 2008, 06:33:15 am
"The only difference between a cult and a religion is the amount of real estate they own”
Frank Zappa quotes (American Composer, Guitarist, Satirist and Song Writer, 1940-1993)

as much as I like frank zappa, I find it impossible to respect people who use a very limited, usually childhood understanding of church as an excuse to insult all forms of faith.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #172 on: January 29, 2008, 10:39:07 am
I'm pretty sure Frank Zappa isn't the kind of person where whether you respect them or not makes any difference, and there's no reason to try to present his qualifications until you do. Kinda like Salvadore Dali.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #173 on: January 29, 2008, 10:49:48 am
"The only difference between a cult and a religion is the amount of real estate they own?
Frank Zappa quotes (American Composer, Guitarist, Satirist and Song Writer, 1940-1993)

as much as I like frank zappa, I find it impossible to respect people who use a very limited, usually childhood understanding of church as an excuse to insult all forms of faith.

What else did Frank Zappa say on religion? That quote on its own is pretty eloquent and not at all insulting. My understanding cults are persecuted by Governments whereas religions are not. But the difference between the two are not so obvious: both will have a messiah figure, promises of future wealth, sacrifices etc. In one documentary concerning early Christianity in Britain (Christians were persecuted by the Romans) one historian said a cult could be considered a religion after it has more than 100 people.

Scientology got itself classified as a religion because Governments (eg. Victorian, Australia) are only able to crack down on cults. 
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #174 on: January 29, 2008, 11:46:47 am
The Dumb All Over / Heavenly Bank Account combo pretty much sums up Zappa's view on religion. I don't agree with many of his views but his comments about TV Evangelists were spot on. "There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." The music itself aside, I don't think Zappa's greatest value is in any single cherry picked thoughts of his, but in his refusal to respect anything or take anything seriously.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 11:57:19 am by JJ Naas »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #175 on: January 29, 2008, 12:10:59 pm
I also got a few of the crummy thin paper ones. Avoid them.

Guess, what. The "crummy thin paper ones" are not sketch but notebooks :P
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #176 on: January 29, 2008, 02:17:33 pm
http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=showhack&id=466
pretty nice graphics for a romhack, only thing lacking is mario's run animation, but since he's restricted to 3 frames (if I recall correctly) I guess it'll do.
anyone ever seen a good 3 frame run cycle?

maybe we should have a challenge?

edit-
.TakaM      01:26:27 PM     Viewing Who's Online.
Guest    01:26:22 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:26:02 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:25:57 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:25:55 PM    Viewing the board index of Pixelation.
Guest    01:25:48 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:25:47 PM    Viewing the topic sidescroller mockup [WIP].
Guest    01:25:32 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:25:29 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
abatishko    01:24:53 PM    Viewing the topic [very wip] portrait.
Guest    01:24:49 PM    Viewing the board Pixel Art.
Guest    01:24:42 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:24:41 PM    Viewing deha's profile.
Guest    01:23:40 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:23:19 PM    Viewing the topic Mockup Frenzy #3: Game Boy De-Makes!.
Guest    01:22:34 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:22:31 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:22:17 PM    Viewing the topic Descramble It! Pixel Puzzle!.
Guest    01:21:24 PM    Viewing the board Pixel Art.
Guest    01:21:22 PM    Viewing the topic [PAID] 2D pixel artist needed for completed flash tower defense game(filled).
Guest    01:20:59 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:20:51 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Online 290880672 blood.spreading.hatchet@gmail.com
TrevoriuS    01:20:38 PM    Viewing the board Pixel Art.
Guest    01:20:34 PM    Viewing the board index of Pixelation.
Guest    01:19:46 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:18:52 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:18:26 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:17:31 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:17:23 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:17:08 PM    Viewing the topic two color experiment...
Guest    01:16:11 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:16:01 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:16:00 PM    Viewing the board Pixel Art.
Guest    01:15:57 PM    Viewing the topic Tools, Resources and Linkage..
jmgandalf    01:15:53 PM    Viewing the topic two color experiment...
Guest    01:15:31 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:15:09 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:15:01 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:14:49 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:14:28 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:14:00 PM    Viewing the topic Contra 4 DS - Developped by WayForward.
Guest    01:13:59 PM    Viewing the topic [PAID] 2D pixel artist needed for completed flash tower defense game(filled).
Guest    01:13:50 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Online feron@angryforlife.com
Feron    01:13:29 PM    Viewing the board index of Pixelation.
Guest    01:13:27 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
ter-o    01:13:22 PM    Viewing the board index of Pixelation.
Guest    01:13:15 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:13:09 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
Guest    01:12:52 PM    Viewing the topic [PAID] top-down 2D tank action (position filled).
Guest    01:12:26 PM    Viewing the topic Iso Collaboration III: Return of the Grid (Completed!).
did it get dugg or something?

...man I was a dick in that topic :-[
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 07:53:01 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline kingkumquat

• View Profile

Reply #177 on: January 29, 2008, 03:51:05 pm
Not quite, as mentioned before, it was submitted to StumbleUpon.

I was quite (pleasantly) surprised to find it there.

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #178 on: February 01, 2008, 05:36:16 am
Hey guys.  I somehow managed to wander away from Pixelation for several months; I think school happened >_<  Glad to see you're all still here, unlike last time I was gone for more than a couple weeks.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #179 on: February 01, 2008, 06:59:31 am
Welcome back Robalan!  :)

*puts knife to throat* Now where the F*** is PKmays!!!
my back hurts...