AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 279003 times)

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #160 on: January 28, 2008, 04:55:35 pm
Sorry for being naive, but what exactly is the problem everyone has with Scientology?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #161 on: January 28, 2008, 05:15:00 pm
Well it's even worse than a regular religion that just wants your money because it's a cult. It also wants your soul.

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #162 on: January 28, 2008, 08:39:13 pm
Religion ? I've always been told it was a sect.
At least, that's what it is called in France.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #163 on: January 28, 2008, 08:59:33 pm
Scientology claims to heal people's souls by making them take expensive courses in which the patients are made to re-live the traumatic events of their life that have caused them to become unstable ( and thus dispelling the evil alien spirits in their soul but I'm not evem gonna go into that ). There may be something to that or not,  but that's not the problem.

The problem is making them pay craploads of money for those dianetic sessions and IF they decide to leave the cult, all the personal information about the most traumatic events of their lives that they have revealed during the sessions will be used to blackmail them to make them come back or shut up about what they've learned about the inner workings of scientology.

It's not a religion, or at least their religious doctrines are so laughable that they are.. laughable. I don't think dianetics is a proven method for curing anything in the first place. They certainly are not open for independent scientific testing of dianetics or open discussions about it. Nevertheless, one person whose mental stability dianetics didn't seem to be able to restore was the one of the whole cult's founder, Ron Hubbard, who died as a freaked-out hermit.

Offline Pan

• View Profile

Reply #164 on: January 28, 2008, 09:04:01 pm
I ordered a moleskine, but it's on back order.   :mean:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 09:05:52 pm by Pan »

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #165 on: January 29, 2008, 01:22:54 am
Religion ? I've always been told it was a sect.
At least, that's what it is called in France.
that reminds me, can anyone tell me the difference(s) between a religion, a sect, and a cult?
Back in highschool I couldn't find any real differences, just what each one says about the others
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #166 on: January 29, 2008, 02:03:07 am
Yes. A religion is a sect that is recogised as a religion by the goverment where you're at. Either want your money. And a cult is an organisation that wants both your money and your soul.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #167 on: January 29, 2008, 02:28:11 am
another working definition is that a religion is a large, recognized group of people who admit spiritual similarity, while a sect is a smaller, more rigidly defined group.  Presbyterianism is a sect within protestant christianity, usually referend to as a branch (which has a better connotation), but other small religious groups not not belong to a larger religion.  Some other smaller groups, such as mormons and other latterday-saints churches, are so different from their parent faith (christianity) that they are often referred to as sects rather than branches of the christian faith.

As far as money is concerned, it depends on where you go.  Most religious organizations (community churches) are meant to be self-supporting, and not demanding, and many ofther programs such as AA and other programs follow the collection plate method.  Most religions and groups are concerned with humility and the rejection of excess, and the church as well as support groups provides many people with what they see as a trustworthy cause to give their excess to.  You are free to attend and give as you please.

Cults on the other hand often demand participation and giving.  Think of a cult as boy scouts, a labor union, soviet russia, and british colonial policies rolled into one big stinking pile.

PS i heard that scientology and latterday-saints churches was banned in france; i know it is at least banned in morocco
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #169 on: January 29, 2008, 04:08:24 am
http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=e10543891fd2e7277d15

This is a story about a fictitious boy named Josh who wrote a letter to Zach about his fictitious friend Jesus …

I watch a Christian channel when drawing because I like having the TV on and there is no ads (it beats hearing about f*cking ab machines all day). One time there was a man who claimed to have actually been to hell (god showed it to him). He wrote a book called ’23 minutes in hell’ (because that’s how long he was there for) and talked about it with the tv priests who loved the book.

If you google quotes and cult:

"The only difference between a cult and a religion is the amount of real estate they own”
Frank Zappa quotes (American Composer, Guitarist, Satirist and Song Writer, 1940-1993)

What Ron Hubbard, founder of Scientology, openly said:

"You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion"

(http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Scientology)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 04:12:29 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi