AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 279020 times)

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #650 on: June 02, 2008, 11:18:10 pm
no, by slight British accent I mean heavy yet intelligible roaring growl gibberish and a slight British accent. and though it was not Cockney, Scouse or Geordie either, it was totally British by all means. ;)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 01:19:43 am by Skurwy »
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #651 on: June 03, 2008, 01:20:47 am
Just in the middle of watching the flashback videos, and I must say, it is quite a spiffing game from the looks of things.  I like the design of everything, and it looks like it'd play quite well.  Then again, i think thats just Helm.
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #652 on: June 03, 2008, 01:58:46 am
Hello. I did a video longplay of Flashback. Watch here if you desire. There isn't much talk about pixel art, as this isn't directed at us, but everyone. I hope it's halfway entertaining. Bear with the hilariously bad-idea captions on top in the first video, I come to my senses by the second one.

http://www.vimeo.com/user470672/videos
It's called a "Let's Play" ;)
You guys should check out the LP section at the something awful forums if you wanna watch some other games being played too.
The Metroid Prime Megathread is pretty cool, he knows the games and a lot of the tricks well.

unrelated:

Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #653 on: June 03, 2008, 02:37:07 am
LP can be a 'Let's Play' but since I haven't made a thread in SA for it or anything, I am using the term 'Longplay' since essentially that's what it is. I am not having any audience participation or anything, I am playing through the game, showing all it has to show, that's a longplay too, right? Search youtube for 'longplay' for more of this.

Anyway, thanks, I hope you liked. I wasn't going to do a voiceover version because I have a heavy accent that would distract quite a bit, I think.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #654 on: June 03, 2008, 02:58:06 am
You should hear some of the accents on SA, most of the time it's the main reason they're popular :P
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #655 on: June 03, 2008, 03:40:47 am
i had it for dos and i must say i think there were a number of things added in the genesis port, i don't remember for example nearly so many cutscenes.  I also think i had trouble with that jump right inside the second part >.< (though obviously moved past it..)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #656 on: June 03, 2008, 04:48:41 am
You should hear some of the accents on SA, most of the time it's the main reason they're popular :P

I on the other hand cannot stand Psychedelic Eyeball for more than 5 seconds.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #657 on: June 04, 2008, 08:43:32 am
I only watched the first video for now, but I'm surprised at both how much I don't remember and how much subtle detail in this game I didn't get.  I know I had to resort to a walkthrough several times in the game.

But I blame the rest of the game industry for my ineptitude, for not preparing me to expect such attention to detail!  Seriously, I can't remember the last game I played with genuinely creative and designed puzzles.  In most games with flaunted puzzle elements I rarely think about what I'm doing.  The Zelda games are good example--I hardly ever have to stop and think about how to get a door open, I just do what I was trained to do, that is, place a rock on a button tile, light this torch, shoot this eyeball thing.  I often "solve" a puzzle without realizing I'm supposed to be solving one, or without any thought about where I am trying to go or what I am trying to do.  It's not that the puzzles are too easy.  I'd accept that--it is supposed to be a widely accessible game.  But it's like they're not even there.

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #658 on: June 04, 2008, 03:05:43 pm
Darien; if you like challenging puzzle games then maybe you should try the Professor Layton or Phoenix Wright/Gyakuten Saiban games? They have great puzzle solving, where you actually have to stop and think to go on.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #659 on: June 04, 2008, 03:35:55 pm
I know I had to resort to a walkthrough several times in the game.

I was too young to know there was such a thing, the first walkthrough i had was Prima's official Pokemon Red and Blue guide :P

yay ninth birthday!
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.